GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Department of Animal Medicine is dedicated to providing for the physical and psychological wellbeing of animals used in biomedical research. In its effort to accomplish this mission, while supporting the needs of the growing UMMS research community, the department not only offers services in animal housing and husbandry, but also provides a variety of technical, training, and educational support.
Under the immediate supervision of the Animal Facility Supervisor (or Designee), the Animal Care Technician performs a variety of duties related to the care of laboratory animals. Primary responsibilities are to maintain a clean and healthy environment for laboratory animals and observe animals for their general health and well being.
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We encourage applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
• Observes, records, and reports atypical findings of the environment, physical plant, and animal health or behavior. These observations are to include but are not limited to sick animals, maintenance problems, safety hazards, mistreatment or inappropriate treatment of animals
• Performs animal husbandry duties; e.g., feeding, watering, cage/pen cleaning.
• Sanitizes animal rooms, animal procedure rooms, animal corridors, cage-wash rooms, animal morgue refrigerator, and necropsy room
• Handles restraint and sexing of laboratory animals
• Maintains animal room records; e.g., census, sanitation, enrichment, feeding, and cage card animal identification
• Prepares and distributes routine medications as directed by veterinary staff; e.g., medicated drinking water or feed
• Sanitizes all animal care equipment
• Operates and performs routine maintenance on floor machines, rack washer, bottle washer, tunnel washer, autoclaves, and bio-safety cabinets / clean bench hoods.
• Assist Grade 13 or above personnel in the operation and maintenance of aquatic life support systems and or robotic cage wash equipment
• Maintains validation records of cage-washer efficiencies and room maintenance records of assigned areas
• Keep assigned work areas stocked with supplies needed for routine operation of the area
• Removes and disposes of waste
• Operates Shuttle Vehicles
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Valid Class D State Drivers License
• High School Diploma or G.E.D.
• Bending, stooping, and lifting (Must be able to lift 60 lbs.)
• Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Minimum required PPE; scrubs, exam gloves, head cover, dust mask, shoe covers. Additional PPE; e.g., safety glasses, face shield, jump suit, respirator may be required for some areas.
• Shower may be required
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/t33zjbm
Opening For Animal Care Technician (a) : Worcester
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: