This job is for " Corning Company "
Corning is looking for " Material Process Scientist/Engineer"
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
The qualified candidate will provide day-to-day, hands-on, leadership and direction for micro-fabrication laboratories with a diverse and highly complex set of thin film and semiconductor process equipment and associated metrology. Experience leading engineering & operational teams in semiconductor and related industries is required.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Drive Safety at all levels of lab activity
• Drive operational excellence; optimizes workflow and equipment availability
• Fosters teamwork with clear communication, collaboration, and vision
• Mentors the engineers and technicians in problem solving
• Develops and implements training plans and SOPs for equipment and process sustaining
• Work with department manager to set short term and long term lab priorities
• Provides leadership in problem solving to ensure timely implementation of equipment/process solutions
• Works with scientists and engineers/technologists to conceive, organize, and execute ideas and plans for DOE, equipment installation and/or upgrade, process development, PM schedules, etc…
• Utilizes sound problem solving methodology (FMEA, 5Why, DMAIC, DOE, etc.)
• Reports progress and recommends changes, improvements, etc…
Travel Requirements: 10% nominal
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; 40+ hours/week
Required Education: B.S. in Physics, Engineering, Physical Chemistry, or related
Required Years and Area of Experience: 10+ years of experience in semiconductor, solar, and related industries
• Ability to lead a team of research engineers and technicians
• Technical knowledge in thin films and micro-fabrication equipment and processes
• Ability to develop teamwork within and across departmental/organizational boundaries
• Ability to further develop and lead technical area of expertise
• Ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries
• Ability to learn new technical area to broaden knowledge and make technical contributions
• Ability to clearly define and solve technical problems
• Proficient in Excel, Word, PPT, etc…
• Expertise and experience in micro-fabrication equipment and process engineering
• Demonstrated ability to define and solve problems, implement solutions to improve products or processes
• Proficient in use of statistical data analysis and DOE in problem solving
• Creative/innovative, strong analytical and problem solving skills
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Effective presentation and technical writing skills
• Self-starter, demonstrated ability to initiate technical work
• Ability to work in a team setting
• Effective in managing time and multiple priorities
• Adaptable/flexible to work in projects of various topics or at various stages