Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Specialty Materials is a leader in providing high performance materials and process capabilities of strategic necessity for targeted customers and the markets they serve -- semiconductors, lighting products and industrial materials.
Corning is a leading supplier of technologically advanced materials and customer-driven solutions for the ophthalmic industry and selected optics markets. Leveraging our revolutionary invention of glass photochromic eyeglass lens materials in the 1960s, we have expanded our product offering to include one of the world’s most technologically advanced plastic photochromic lenses.
Corning Semiconductor Optics is a leading world-class supplier of optical materials, high performance precision optics, optical-based metrology instruments and technical microlithography solutions for the semiconductor industry. Our core technical expertise lies in fused silica and fluoride crystals, materials and processing, optical-based metrology instrumentation, and high performance optics through Corning Tropel.
To know more about Corning's Specialty Materials Division, please visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/other_products/specialty_materials.aspx
Scope of Position:
In this position you will become a member of Corning Advanced Optics’ world class Optical System Metrology team. Under the direction of talented senior engineers this opportunity will allow an individual to develop and mature their personal skill base within the area of optical engineering and metrology.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Design, assemble, align, and characterize complex custom metrology equipment such as interferometers, wavefront sensors, radiometers, lithography equipment, and illumination systems to test various optical components, sub-assemblies, and assemblies.
· Interpret system specifications; work with internal and external customers to understand specification requirements.
· Participate in product design, provide feedback and consultation to Product Designers.
· Measure many aspects of optical systems; test and optimization of prototype optical systems
· Document test processes and procedures, train technical personnel.
· Work within multi-disciplined project team to analyze, engineer & build lens systems from conception to completion.
· BS, MS desired
Required Years and Area of Experience:
· 3 years of optical system metrology or equivalent thesis work
· Optical system testing concept and principles
· A foundation and understanding of aberration theory, geometrical optics and physical optics is necessary.
· Knowledge and comfort with computers: Data analysis using mathematical analysis tools such as Excel, Igor, MathCAD, etc.
· Practical hardware laboratory experience testing / optimizing lens systems and optical modules.
· Disciplined problem solving experience, such as Kepner Tragoe eThink
· Working and practical knowledge using a major optical design software package (CodeV, Zemax, Oslo).
· Experience with data acquisition and motion control system design and debug
· Experience with precision engineering fundamentals
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
· Comfortable communicating technical information to a broad audience.
· Working in an environment of close collaboration with colleagues to realize a total customer solution.
· Desire to learn and enhance personal skill set.
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";