Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
• Related to business initiatives in precision flat glass manufacturing process development and attribute capability improvement.
• Technical leader
• Process engineer developing into a subject matter expert
• Lead the delivery of new process technologies and capabilities to manufacturing
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Leading process technology development in manufacturing environment
• Interpretation and validation of process design and measurements
• Communicating results to project team and stake holders
• Leverage or produce math modeling results to guide process experiments
• Managing to milestones
• Problem Solving
Travel Requirements: As much as 30% domestic and international
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Core hours, Travel, and periodic evening conference calls
• Minimum of a MS in Mechanical, Chemical, or Materials Engineering, or equivalent experience
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• Process Engineer Including; technology delivery, collaboration; communication; and team activities in a fast paced environment, integrating results between Mfg, Eng, and Dev Org
• Able to break down complex problems into fundamental components, and develop solutions or approaches to resolve
• Able to lead MFG process interpretations and evaluations
• Able to effectively communicate technical results
• Experienced at influencing technical decisions
• Able to work effectively in a matrix team environment
• Knowledge of Glass melting / forming, thermal, mechanical, fluid flow
• Background in fundamental sciences of fluid flow, mechanics, thermal sciences, or glass properties
• Experienced at process modeling (Physical and/or Math)
• Skilled at conducting and analyzing process experiments using; Process Excellence, statistical DOE, 6 sigma DMAIC, etc…
• Experienced at designing production mechanical or measurement systems
• Prior experience in glass forming process, especially sheet forming
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Enthusiastic approach to technical leadership
• Skilled at delivering results in a cross-functional matrix team environment
• Uses an analytical, thought process
• Engages other SME’s
• Technically curious