Below is verbatim the mail I was sent by Ellen Weiss of thebiophysical society, but it effects all Life-science research in the USA, so PLEASE act NOW.
Push for $10 Billion for NIH in Recovery Plan Act Now
Keep up the pressure on Congress to include $10 billion for NIH in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Thanks to a strong show of support from research advocates and leadership from Senators Specter, Harkin and Durbin, the Senate approved an amendment to increase the NIH allocation from $3.5 billion to $10 billion. As Senate and House leadership reconcile the bills, urge your members to reinforce their support for research as a critical economic driver in communities across America.
Call your representative and senators to let them know you want $10 billion for NIH included in the final version of the bill. Find your
members' phone numbers at http://capwiz.com/ram/utr/1/NRVGJTZJRH/IGBOJUTZCZ/2903371261/ and use the talking points below.
The funding for NIH will:
* provide short-term economic stimulus by creating 70,000 jobs;
* more than double each dollar invested in economic output;
* boost the economy of every state because 90% of NIH funding is distributed to colleges, universities and research institutions across
* help the U.S. remain competitive globally in research and innovation;
* allow Americans to live longer, healthier, more productive lives and
* reduce health care costs through more effective prevention and treatment.
Tell your delegation that investing NIH now will pay off in the short- and long-term. The best way to contact your members is by calling, but you can also send them an e-mail by going to http://capwiz.com/ram/utr/1/NRVGJTZJRH/BIUOJUTZDA/2903371261. Take action now!