Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems. Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
The global Finance Function acts as a proactive business partner, advising and making recommendations based upon financial projections and historical performance. Finance also provides financial expertise companywide and ensures accurate and efficient transaction processing.
Purpose of the Position: Controller, External Reporting, responsible for compiling the company’s financial statements and footnote disclosure in compliance with SEC guidelines. In addition to the SEC requirements, responsibilities also include significant non-GAAP reporting and reconciliation. In between reporting periods, candidate will also support the Manager, Technical Accounting Services, to act as an expert resource for issues relating to technical accounting and policy issues for assigned divisions and corporate finance functions.
- Assist the Manager of External Reporting in monitoring, assessing and communicating changes in SEC, disclosure and reporting rules and regulations which may have an impact on Corning.
- Assist in coordination with external auditors on accounting and disclosure matters affecting external reporting.
- Responsible for the accounting for equity compensation and employee benefit plans, as well as other technical accounting areas including supervising the preparation of the company’s statement of cash flow and specific footnote disclosures contained in the company’s SEC filings.
- Provide assistance to business transaction teams (including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, restructurings, derivatives, and significant sales agreements) and ensure proper accounting for activities and disclosure.
- Act as an expert resource for issues relating to technical accounting and policy issues for assigned divisions and corporate finance functions.
- Collaborate and consult with the business and Corporate, such as division and business controllers, finance managers and directors on a regular basis to ensure awareness of transactions and changes that have a potential accounting impact.
- Participate with the implementation of new accounting standards across the Company, its segments and business divisions.
- Assist in preparing technical accounting updates to senior management and the audit committee.
- Assist in updating Company Accounting Policy to appropriately reflect U.S. GAAP requirements and assist with identifying areas of improvement.
Project involved with:
- Projects can include M&A, divestitures, joint ventures, restructurings, derivatives, and significant sales agreements, technical accounting memorandum, technical accounting training, division initiatives, and monitoring and implementation of emerging GAAP.
Role within group:
- Provide technical accounting guidance to corporate and businesses functions to ensure significant transactions are properly recorded. Provide technical and financial accounting advice to finance teams, corporate management, and project teams evaluating and executing transactions to acquire business enterprises, form joint venture arrangements, divest of businesses in Corning’s portfolio, and significant sales contracts. This includes exploring structuring alternatives, accounting issues, reporting requirements, and review of contract language. Provide consultations to businesses and other functions.
- Assist in ensuring Corning’s compliance with emerging GAAP for changes in requirements. Assess materiality and relevance of emerging GAAP to Corning Incorporated’s consolidated financial statements. Assist with technical training to the finance community or other corporate groups (e.g. legal) and accounting policy updates in new or higher risk areas.
- Interpretation of FASB, SEC, IASB and other regulations and authoritative literature and assist in development of pragmatic solutions to complex issues.
- Accuracy and completeness of analytical schedules and, where required, reserve analyses.
Travel Requirements: Some travel may be required. Amount of travel will be less than 15%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40-50 hours per week is normal, with quarterly peaks
Required Education and required years and area of experience:
- 6+ years of combined public accounting and corporate technical accounting experience
- Excellent GAAP & SEC understanding
- BS in Accounting
- Big 4 experience is preferred
- CPA is required
- Ability to develop solutions to complex issues
- Experiences in financial instruments and derivatives are desired
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Strength of business partnership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player with strong organizational skills
- Self-starter, “can do” attitude
- High integrity (handling confidential information)
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}