Scope of Position:
Conduct research and provide support to business aligned projects in the area of polymeric formulation science (adhesives, coatings, inks etc). This position will support all existing businesses as well as new and emerging businesses.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Direct research in the area of coatings, adhesives, and related polymeric formulations. . The position will require responsibility for setting technical direction, supervision of technician support, and laboratory safety and hygiene.
· Documentation and presentation of results in both written and oral form on a regular basis will also be required.
· Intermittent and may include international travel to Corning locations overseas. Travel is generally no more than 2 -3 days at a time.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
· 40 hr work week, Monday - Friday 8 - 5 with flex time possible
· A Master's degree with 10 year experience in the area of polymeric formulation development or a PhD with 5 years relevant experience. Educational background in organic chemistry or polymer science.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
· 5 - 10 years industrial experience with an emphasis in the areas of coatings and adhesives for glass and adhesion science.
· Demonstrated ability to develop formulations meeting product and process requirements with an emphasis on building the fundamental knowledge underpinning the formulation performance.
· Proficiency in polymer structure-property relationships
· Proficiency in chemical analysis and mechanisms
· Technical writing and oral presentation skills
· Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
· Experience in highly filled systems and small particle dispersions
· Familiarity with different coating and printing processes
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
· Project management experience
· Ability to lead a small team of scientists and technicians
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs. To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at: http://www.corning.com/r_d/index.aspx
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";