The Henry M Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine is seeking a Biomedical Engineer to support the Naval Medical Research Unit – San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. Responsible for systems design and configuration, implementation, testing and maintenance of systems involving electronics components, radiation detectors and computer interfaces for the purpose of collecting and processing research data in conjunction with specified programs. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to NAMRU.
1. Designs, implements, tests and maintains hardware systems involving electronic components and radiation detectors.
2. Balances the technological and biological issues associated with the desired systems.
3. Designs, implements, tests and maintains new software programs involving entirely new software and modifications and extensions to existing software packages.
4. Maintains state-of-the-art knowledge of relevant technological developments in hardware and software design and develop a thorough understanding of the underlying physics, mathematics and physiology.
5. Consults with physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists and technologists.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Thorough understanding of the underlying principles of physics, mathematics and physiology as it applies to biomedical engineering. Knowledge of radio frequency radiation (RFR) and the biological effects on tissue. Knowledge of the health hazards to humans from increasing levels of RFR transmitter and microwave sources. Working knowledge of human and animal research involving RFR. Knowledge of light measurement, calibration, fabrication and data collection. Knowledge of the principles of radiofrequency and microwave, induced currents, optics, laser operations and laser safety in accordance with Navy and national and international safety standards (American National Standards Institute [ANSI], Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers [IEEE]).
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor's degree in biomedical, electrical, or chemical engineering.
Minimum Experience: 2 to 4 years experience as a biomedical engineer.
Physical Capabilities: Ability to sit at a computer for long periods of time.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Must be a U.S. Citizen and must be able to pass a background investigation.
Work Environment: Office and laboratory environment.
Please apply on-line at www.hjf.org/careers Click “Advanced Search” and enter job number 208429 in the Job Opening ID box.
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is a congressionally authorized, not-for-profit corporation that provides unparalleled scientific and management services to military medical research and education programs worldwide. Our mission is to advance military medical research. AA/EEO
Deadline: March 31, 2014