Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Manage team chartered with applying ceramic & materials science engineering fundamental principles to solve the deep technical challenges primarily related to glass and ceramics manufacturing. This corporate engineering role serves all existing businesses. Team members have typical project assignments lasting 6 months to 2 years, and ranging from initial research projects through stage 5 manufacturing support. The organization serves a flexible base of resources and knowledge which facilitates rapid solution development and emphasizes strong technical competence. A team of materials experts, they deal with interactions including raw materials, suppliers, fabrication, research, development, and manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Understand material properties and their impact on Corning’s products and processes.
- Drive root cause understanding to improve yield, extend asset life, reduce costs, improve product attributes and enable new products.
- Develop laboratory testing regimen and process simulations to extend knowledge base and prove/disprove hypotheses.
- Work with department laboratory staff to ensure optimal turnaround and experimental efficiency.
- Protect Corning’s intellectual property by filing invention disclosures for patent application in timely fashion.
- Document all project findings in internal, structured reports.
- Maintain high quality engineering principles, including extensive use of statistics, structured problem solving methods such as KT, DoE, and DMAIC, DMAIC six sigma tools.
- Measure and communicate performance against objectives.
- The ideal candidate would serve both as a project/technical contributor and a functional manager.
Travel Requirements: up to 25%, some international
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Flex time; typical 8:00 – 5:00; Monday – Friday. Some projects may require additional hours.
Required Education: MS Required, PhD preferred
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Prior functional management experience
- 10+ years of technical/engineering experience
- 10 years experience in materials or process engineering or related fields; high degree of technical competence
- Ability to assimilate quickly and produce valuable results.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with customers, suppliers, and co-workers.
- Problem solving skills
- Proven and demonstrated ability to develop emerging talent
- Engineering management experience
- Glass, refractory, process engineering basics
- Project management and manufacturing experience
- Statistics, data analysis, design of experiments
- Innovative and creative
- Strong multi-tasker
- Business savvy and competence
- Strong communication skills, able to work across boundaries at all levels of the organization
- Ability to influence, guide, and mentor
- Able to foster a diverse and inclusive environment built on credibility, transparency, openness, and trust
- Flexible and adaptable
- Strong networking skills
- Able to work independently
- Sense of urgency
- Results oriented
- Positive attitude
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}