Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
· This position is in the Technology Deployment and Synchronization Department within Advanced Manufacturing Technology group (AMT) and is focused on equipment industrialization, deployment, and commissioning.
· As a member of a project team, provides discipline leadership in the construction, test, installation, and debug of equipment systems at both domestic and international manufacturing sites. May also provide assistance to develop integrated industrial control systems for new manufacturing equipment and modification of existing equipment.
· May also work with equipment vendors on the build and acceptance of equipment.
· Learn & understand process & equipment functions in area of responsibility.
· Responsible for understanding the system analog and digital I/O requirements, control sequence logic, fail safe states and recovery sequences.
· Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to successfully deliver fully integrated process equipment systems to Corning’s plants on-time, on-budget, and that satisfy performance measures. Direct initial equipment set-up and debug up to the point of turnover to operations.
· Develops and uses project plans and timelines to achieve project goals without sacrificing safety, intellectual property, or quality. Adhere to all Corporate, Business Unit, and Site guidelines for same.
· Develop detailed process equipment installation plans, and supervise contract trades groups on the installation of this equipment.
· Develop and use mechanical and electrical start-up/debug checklists, drawings, and process equipment documentation (and/or direct technicians to create or modify the same).
· Provide troubleshooting support for equipment and process issues during equipment installation and start-up phases, identify root cause and implement corrective actions.
· Provide training to plant engineers, technicians, maintenance, and operations personnel on the manufacturing platform as part of the turnover to operations.
· Contribute on project cost and time estimates.
· Travel will be required to Corning Optical Fiber and Cable Manufacturing sites in North Carolina (Concord, Winston-Salem, and Hickory) and overseas sites in India, China, and Europe.
· Typical travel can range from a few days to a few weeks during the project initiation phase.
· During the deployment phase of the project, travel is nearly full-time. Deployment phases typically range from 3-9 months, but can extend to 1+ years depending on the assignment.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Standard work hours are M-F 8:00-5:00, however, overtime or shifted work hours is not uncommon and is indeed expected at times. The amount and duration will vary as a function of the job position, particular project, and point in the project life cycle.
Education and Experience Requirements:
· B.S. or M.S Electrical Engineering with 5+ years manufacturing experience working with process and automation equipment.
· Control system (PLC, motion control, safety devices, high level languages) programming skills.
· Experience integrating field devices for flow control, material handling and metering, motion control, temperature control, and associated safety systems into an overall controls package enabling a fully-functional equipment platform.
· Familiar with electrical system design including control panel layouts, component selection, and schematics.
· Understands regulations applicable to area of expertise and works to ensure compliance (NEC, NFPA, etc.) Incorporates safety and risk analysis into equipment designs.
· Project management experience, including developing project scope, budgets and schedules.
· Displays a bias for action in situations of uncertainty, with pro-active attention to issues and problems,
· Translates engineering solutions to requirements, then further to process and/or equipment designs which deliver all required and promised performance criteria.
· Determines and recommends best solution from a series of alternatives within plant guidelines.
· Thoroughly carries out assignments to completion.
· Works well in a team environment, is a “self-starter” and “results oriented”.
· Communicates effectively in various settings to provide and present necessary information to Project, Department, and Site leaders.
· Experience working in a manufacturing floor or construction environment, with a strong focus on job site safety. Proactive regarding safety. Seeks to identify and correct potential safety or environmental issues before they occur.
· Assures quality and repeatability of processes and products.
· Able to function in either discipline engineer or multi-disciplined leadership role as defined by project assignment. Works well with other disciplines (IT, mechanical, and process engineering) to fully understand manufacturing system functionality and design requirements.
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;