Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
Responsible for leading Measurement and Controls (M&C) engineering projects to improve the control of timing, temperature and other electrical control features of manufacturing in CLS. May encompass job duties in electrical, systems-software, and systems-design. Drive alignment of controls engineering resources and standardization Division-wide. Supports controls strategy migration and alignment to IT.
• Serve as an Electrical Controls resource for troubleshooting of production equipment and automation systems.
• Initiate and maintain relationships with Operations and Maintenance to provide first responder Controls support for the plant. Focus will be to get equipment back in operation safely and performing at established rates and quality.
• Control system troubleshooting will include Programmable Control Systems, Human Machine Interfaces, Robots, Motion Control, Measurement Systems, Instrumentation, Dryers, and Material Handling Systems.
• Understand and comply with plant & division electrical controls standards. Serve as a technical resource for questions regarding deviations.
• Be familiar with various instrumentations and control techniques, perform control system assessment, and provide recommendation for control system maintenance and upgrade
• Utilize data analysis skills, including statistical analysis, multivariate statistical analysis, frequency analysis, etc., to provide fundamental understanding leading to control system design
• Individual must be capable of executing assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision
• Support CLS engineering initiatives at multiple sites in a fast paced production environment.
• Understand internal customer stated and implied needs. Ensure their expectations are being met.
• Coach and mentor engineering personnel and technicians as appropriate to build and leverage skill sets to enhance the effectiveness of M&C initiatives.
• Work with Engineering Leadership to set short and long term M&C strategies to achieve plant production, quality, safety and financial goals.
• Execute the short and long term M&C strategies.
• Track M&C objectives that link to the overall plant and Division objectives.
• Provide guidance on project priority, scope, and key business linkages to ensure alignment with Division objectives.
• Support new product introductions, process enhancements, raw material changes, and equipment design modifications.
• Ensure all engineering related activities are conducted in accordance with established design and process control procedures.
• Track and manage any capital spending associated with projects as appropriate.
• Ensure all work is performed in a safe manner and environment. Responsible for his/her safety, as well as that of others.
• Responsible for observing safe work practices and being proactive for reporting any unsafe conditions.
• Utilize Lean manufacturing principles to reduce manufacturing costs.
• Apply DMAIC principles to achieve project objectives.
Required Education: Bachelor of Science degree.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 10 years; manufacturing engineering, equipment engineering or controls engineering.
• Knowledge of manufacturing methods, systems, production processes, and controls systems is required.
• PLC programming; Mitsubishi or AB controller
• Demonstrated delivery of process improvement results through project and organizational leadership.
• Demonstrated track record of performance results and people development.
• Demonstrated track record of engineering/technical accomplishment.
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills (written and verbal) required.
• Familiar with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
• Fundamental SPC related knowledge
• Demonstrated Project management skills
• Problem Solving and Analytical skills for root cause finding; Performance Excellence training
• Building Effective Teams
• Directing Others
• Decision Quality
• Drive for Results
• Sense of urgency and creativity to handle process issues and adapt plan to meet objectives
• Cross-cultural Sensitivity
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled