Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
• Member of cross-functional engineering team that provides R&D labs and/or pilot operations with equipment support from concept generation and development, detail design / build, system integration through debug and start-up. Provides customer focused engineering service to the technical community within S&T
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Assigned to engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver cost effective machine systems and services to Corning’s R&D facilities.
• Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanical engineering and equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop basic understanding of process and equipment design requirements.
• Define and document machine design specifications, develop mechanical design concepts, design and follow construction of equipment, and make appropriate engineering recommendations.
• Assist with appropriate proof of concept and prototype testing to validate design concept.
• Work with external machine builders, system integrators, and suppliers to specify and successfully deliver assigned areas of responsibility to overall project team on-time, on-budget, and in satisfaction of process performance measures.
• Support the generation of construction drawings, installation drawings, and ensure that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfy Corning drawing standards.
• Coordinate and direct the installation of machine systems and services. Actively participate in system integration, debug, and start-up.
• Develop scope, schedule and budget for project responsibilities.
• Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated funds. Estimate time required to accomplish tasks and monitor performance against schedules.
• Report on project activities, status, and issues on a periodic basis to project & department leadership.
• Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, work within Corning standards, and Corning processes with minimal supervision
Travel Requirements: Minimal Travel, primarily for vendor evaluation, vendor interface, training, etc.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8-5, M-F. Schedule may be dependent on project needs at any given time
Required Education: BSME w/ 5 years related experience
• High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position. Interest and ability to learn, develop, and advance technical skills in mechanical design, process equipment development, process gas delivery, mechanical services, and system integration.
• Fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, equipment fabrication and assembly, and mechanical systems troubleshooting.
• Ability to use experimentation to develop basic process knowledge, design prototype test systems, and perform proof of principle testing to validate design approach.
• Familiar with the following areas: electro-mechanical drive systems, fluid power, pneumatics, material handling, alignment, part sensing, high purity piping, gas and liquid delivery, and safety standards.
• Ability to effectively leverage and manage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
• Demonstrated skills in 2-D and 3-D CAD (Solid works) and, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance.
• Ability to work in a team-based environment and contribute to a highly matrixed project team.
• Self-starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
• Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
• Highly motivated, results oriented, customer focused, with a high commitment level
• Performance Excellence training
• Familiarity with early stage innovation projects
• Understanding of general financial concepts re: how budgets work, capital vs. expense, AR process, etc.
• Ability to grasp how individual design task fits into and affects overall system
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Communications – Comfortable communicating with all levels of an organization.
• Team player
• Comfortable with ambiguity
• Desire to learn and try new things
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.