Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Provide Project leadership for Heating ventilating and air conditioning for design, construction, and capital projects. Manage the development and implementation of HVAC technology to meet requirements for process operation.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Provide project management for key facility mechanical capital projects.
· Establish requirements with customer.
· Assist in the evaluation and verify justification for project.
· Establish roles, responsibilities and competencies required for the project.
· Establish project plans (scopes, schedule, cost estimates, procurement/contracting strategy, project acceptance criteria, etc.).
· Work with business in the preparation and approval of Appropriation Requests.
· Conduct project meetings and document key issues, action items and decisions.
· Provide periodic project updates to customer and department management.
· Manage the project to meet the requirements.
· Able to travel extensively (>50%), including overseas travel. Work could involve long term domestic or international assignments.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
· Basic work hours are dependent on the particular assignment. Individuals need to work the hours required to complete the assignment. Work hours can vary from 40 to 60 hours per week depending on the needs of the project.
· BS Mechanical Engineering
· MS or MBA preferred
· Professional Engineering registration and PMI certification desired
Required Years and Area of Experience:
· 5 to 10 years engineering experience and 5 years in HVAC design and/or installation and troubleshooting
· Face to face contact with internal and external customers, adapts to the situation and people involved and able to demonstrate respect for others.
· Asks open-ended questions and checks for understanding to generate accurate data.
· Listens to the hidden messages in what people say.
· Builds consensus among team’s members on goals, tactics and accountability.
· Puts together a competent team and develops a strong sense of team values.
· Understands the goal and priorities of the customer and connect people to resources.
· Connects people with the appropriate resources.
· Challenges status quo by identifying opportunities for continuous improvements.
· Planning and organizing
· Frequently updates action plans to conform to changing organizational and customer goals.
· Specifies challenging goals, time lines and expected outcomes in detail and tracks progress.
· Manages time and resources effectively to meet promised deadlines, set priorities.
· Develop criteria for prioritizing work task.
· Focuses on the most significant activities with the highest business potential and impact.
· MS Word, MS Project, Excel, Outlook, Auto Cad, and PowerPoint
· Project management software experience
· Fluent in English
· Proficiency in a second or third language is a plus: Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin) or Japanese
Quality Results Oriented:
· Specifies, clarifies and reaches agreement about requirements with customers and suppliers.
· Keeps team members involved and informed.
· Puts meeting the customer requirements as a high priority.
· Manages by prevention.
· Development of a procurement strategy.
· Bidder qualification and selection process.
· Request for quotation process.
· Knowledge of contract terms and conditions.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making-
· Solicits and uses advice from others to help make key decisions in a timely fashion.
· Interfaces with functional counterparts before acting to specify problems,
· Generate possible solutions, plans and contingencies before acting.
· Understands that the best solutions are found through others.
· Experienced with and a proponent of K-T (DA, PPA, RA).
· Communication – able to effectively communicate within different levels in the internal
· Corning organization and with external engineering and construction companies.
· Matrix Management – ability to effectively work with matrix team that from a number of internal and external organizations. Able to influence and achieve project requirements. Interface with team member’s management.
· Achievement Oriented - Continually setting high goals and striving toward excellence.
· Self-confidence - Has strong belief in own abilities, takes personal responsibility and project positive self-image.
· Commitment - Possesses strong work ethic and interest in doing what is necessary to get the task done.
· Persistence - Maintains optimistic, “can do” attitude.
· Flexibility - Has ability to change and adjust smoothly as the situation demands.
· Honesty/Integrity - Keeps promises and is open, ethical, and trustworthy
· Leadership -Provide project leadership to team members in a matrix organizational structure.
· Provide coaching to team members if required
· Provide timely, constructive feedback to team members.
· Establish and communicate individual roles, responsibilities and expectations for team members.
· Establish and communicate travel guidelines for the project.
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";