Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Develop, assemble and test vision based measurement systems in support of the metrology, inspection and testing of Corning products. Manage the transfer of technology from development to manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work with a variety of cross functional groups (Development, Quality, IT, Purchasing, Operations) to define, develop and implement vision based measurement and instrumentation systems.
- Transfer technology from early stage development to a product suitable for use in manufacturing.
- Leverage external suppliers for key technologies or core competencies such as system integration.
- Define Scopes of Work, competitively quote when appropriate, issue Purchase Orders, track supplier work and approve invoices.
- Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement improvements to measurement systems or production processes.
- Create/update documentation for release to production including Machine Specifications; operating procedures and drawing packages.
- Train engineering, maintenance and operations people how to use and maintain measurement systems.
- Provide remote and onsite troubleshooting using data and performance analysis of the installed systems.
- 10-30% domestic and international travel (Asia, Europe)
- 1 day to several week trips are typical.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours / week
Required Education: BS, MS or PhD in Physics, Optics or EE. BS or MS in Optics preferred.
Required Area of Experience:
- Training or hands-on experience with vision systems is required
- Must have strong programming skills / experience with different software platforms (i.e. image processing programs, VB.net, C++, Excel Macros, etc.)
- Machine Vision system development (optics, lighting, cameras, image acquisition, image analysis)
- Knowledge of image processing algorithms (blob analysis, edge finding, morphology, feature extraction, classification, metrology)
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Visual Studio programming (Visual Basic.NET or C#)
- Systems Engineering and integration
- Digital Signal Processing
- Experience with electrical/optical/mechanical installations, including system checkout and troubleshooting
- Strong communication and presentation skills (MS Office programs)
- Data retrieval, plotting and analysis (primarily using Microsoft Excel)
- Experience with image processing development packages such as Halcon, Matrox Inspector, NI Vision, or Matlab image processing toolbox
- Control systems (PLCs)
- Process engineering knowledge. Experienced with design of experiments, statistical analysis and process improvement
- Experience with Metrology, Inspection and Product Quality in support of production organizations
- Motion Control – ability to integrate motion on imaging platforms
- Computing – Familiar with high performance computing systems
- Interpersonal skills - able to interact effectively with customers & coworkers
- Effective communication
- Customer focused
- Able to work independently
- Results oriented
- Quick learner
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with others for whom English is not their primary language
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}