Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
• Delivers IP landscapes on projects or competitors as needed
• Delivers IP risk assessments on projects as needed
• Routinely searches for and analyzes patents and patent applications for specific projects and competitors
• Routinely monitors prosecution of select references to assist IP counsel.
• Active member of business program IP teams and assists IP counsel on relevant team tasks. These teams review incoming invention disclosures, patent alerts, filing strategies, and conduct IP brainstorming sessions.
• Participates in business and/or development teams to provide basic IP perspective/information and assists in developing, executing, and updating business unit IP Strategy Plans to ensure alignment with overall business strategy.
• Takes an active role in supporting, coordinating and tracking implementation of the IP Strategy Plan.
• Supports competitive intelligence monitoring and analysis consistent with the IP Strategy Plan of the business. For example, under direction from IP Counsel, liaises between business unit and IP Department to facilitate gathering of appropriate information and business/technical expertise for clearance and pre-litigation investigations.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Collect relevant new patent publications in the Gorilla® Glass field and distribute to selected SME’s for initial review and input
• Conduct patent searches for ongoing project landscapes, project risk assessments, and competitor landscapes. Includes analysis, compiling reports and presentations.
• The IAA will interact with various Businesses, technology groups, and new product development teams, as well as the Patent Department, to develop the areas of focus for IP analysis. This includes keeping track of technology trends, product and technology roadmaps, and the competitive environment, in order to identify new areas for analysis.
• The IAA will coordinate project IP reviews, including coordination of technical and legal project responsibilities.
• The IAA will interact heavily with the Patent Department attorneys for project reviews, IP landscaping, etc.
• The IAA will assist in implementing the IP strategy.
• The IAA will participate on the IP team, resolving issues and action items identified in ID and patent portfolio reviews.
• Liaises between project teams and/or the IP Department as appropriate and requested by IP counsel.
• Coordinates with IP counsel in the identification and tracking of patents believed to be critical to business success in accordance with the IP Strategy Plan of the business/research unit.
• Proactively looks for opportunities to take responsibility for driving implementation, tracking, and completion of appropriate and/or assigned strategies and objectives in the IP Strategy Plan for assigned business/research unit(s).
• BS or equivalent. Advanced technical degree would be an advantage.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 5+ years in technology/ engineering environment
• Works and thinks independently
• Demonstrated technical skills, including ability to understand new technology quickly
• Experience with the technical community
• Strong Project Management Skills
• Ability to facilitate meetings with cross-functional teams
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to seek out information, research skills
• Ability to develop and use processes
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
• Time management skills
• Flexible to changing business conditions
• Experiences with using and creating databases
• Experience with Thomson Innovation
• Experience with Coming Invention Disclosure and Patent Processes
• Ability to gather various pieces of information and create logical direction for action
Soft Skills: (Communication/Team/Leadership)
• Inquisitive Nature
• Cross functional integration and coordination
• Good communication skills, oral and written
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled