Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
Apply knowledge of engineering principles and practices to effectively accomplish technical assignments and projects. Makes decisions independently based upon sound engineering and scientific methods. Actively participates within and beyond department boundaries to resolve important process and product issues. Enhances manufacturing capabilities through the implementation of new ideas and methods. Independently executes projects to fulfill department goals and objectives in the areas of cost reduction, productivity gains, process flow, capacity increases, and scrap reduction and process and product enhancements.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Support cable manufacturing in an around-the-clock production environment, to include assisting production personnel and maintenance functions in day-to-day troubleshooting of equipment and processes, conducting trend analysis of re-occurring errors and developing proposals/designs/training to reduce those errors and machine downtime and implement the corrections. Interface daily with operators and production team leaders to monitor and correct possible process fluctuations.
• Manage all aspects of bringing new equipment into production, including preparation of financial justification, designing, specifying, purchasing, as well as tracking all spending related to the project.
• Develop maintenance and operator training documentation, conducting equipment qualification and initial training of production personnel, and making provisions for repair parts stocking levels.
• Formally document all aspects of the project through ROI's, IR's, CMR's, and MCN's.
• Initiate and implement process or equipment improvements in order to reduce scrap/cost, increase run rates, or improve overall product performance and quality through the application of engineering principles.
• Support the transfer of new cabling technology or materials from RD&E to production.
• Provide processing support during product development, develop plans as to how the equipment/processes will be employed into production and ensure that the new technology is repeatable in a production environment prior to transfer.
• Ensure all production and maintenance documentation is completed such as MI's, SOP's, PM's, and calibration.
• Take an active role in continuous improvement team activities and conduct all tasks consistent with the DMAIC methodology when applicable.
Travel Requirements: Less than 5 %
Hours of work: M-F, 8am-5pm, support off shift as needed
• At least two years in Engineering
• Mechanical, electrical or chemical preferred
• Working towards a four-year degree.
Required Years and Area of Experience: At least one semester of core engineering course work completed
• Strong technical fundamentals with process engineering skills
• Ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries and integrate solutions
• Results-oriented and high commitment
• Ability to learn new technology and processes quickly
• Excellent analytical skills
• Creative/innovative problem solving
• Knowledge of plastic extrusion technologies
• Cabling process and equipment
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
• Strong organizational skills
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.