Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
Plan, direct, and continually improve Lean Manufacturing activities at HCF. Implement Lean concepts such as 5S, Kaizen, value stream mapping, load smoothing, & one piece flow in order to improve performance in safety, quality, cost, delivery, morale, and innovation. Communicate and work with Corporate, other Corning locations, and outside agencies to establish similar goals/objectives, promote best practice proliferation, and ensure inter-plant consistency of systems and procedures. Develop and implement systems, procedures, and projects required to successfully accomplish departmental, plant, and corporate goals and objectives.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Clearly communicate the Lean group’s philosophy, vision, & expectations.
• Maintain, sustain and facilitate divisional lean core competencies.
• Lead cross functional teams to collaborate in defining problem statements, problem analysis and implementation of solutions.
• Develop tools and materials to facilitate learning & training for SMART process and New Employee Orientation (NEO) to promote development of all HCF employees regarding lean concepts.
• Develop & implement a strategy for a self-sustaining lean program. Assist in development of measurement systems that support lean manufacturing philosophy.
• Responsible for facilitating value stream mapping (VSM) exercises to improve current state conditions and develop strategic project plans based on session findings to achieve future state
• Direct the planning and implementation of Kaizen related continuous improvement activities. Facilitate leadership and others “going to gemba” to truly understand & implement improvements.
• Develop & implement sustainable 5S, visual control, Point of Use (POU), Load Smoothing, Single Minute Exchange of Die (SMED), & Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) programs at HCF. Facilitate these efforts within assigned areas as needed.
• Facilitate the planning and implementation of workplace flow & layout, as well as equipment installations, modifications, and moves according to Lean concepts.
• Document work done & results achieved. Develop & update standards as changes are made. Ensure PDCA cycles are followed.
• Identify & horizontally deploy benchmark opportunities and develop partnerships with appropriate parties.
• Scope of ownership includes Ribbon, FR, MESD, and Support Areas (i.e. Maintenance, Warehouse, etc.)
• Leadership, coordination, and facilitation of projects to address safety, obtain VOC, or impact other key Plant objectives
• Create and/or update, capacity models for operations
• Integration of lean concepts into existing systems (JSAs, SOPs, etc.)
• Lean program development, collaboration with sister plant lean groups
• Training of lean group & HCF employees
• Originator of Appropriation Requests (ARs) (manage to budgeted spend & timelines)
• BS degree in Engineering or Sciences (Industrial Engineering preferred).
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• Min of 2 years manufacturing experience
• Knowledge of manufacturing methods, systems, lean principles and/or production processes.
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills (written and verbal) required.
• Must be process/results oriented and have organizational and attention-to-detail abilities.
• Ability to work in a matrix environment
• Background and familiarity of Lean concepts preferred.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.