Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and procesxs engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements.
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
• With minimal supervision, is able to propose, plan, coordinate, and lead a variety of complex manufacturing projects. Able to identify areas of opportunity for improvement in the areas of Cost, Capability, Capacity, Culture, and Innovation. Provide technical and non-technical guidance (oversight) to ensure the systems and processes are aligned to meet business objectives. Assists in solving complex problems and identifying solutions; requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Provides ad-hoc financial analysis for RMM translating financial & business performance objectives into metrics & tracking mechanisms to enable execution.
• Establish project plans (scope, schedule, cost estimates, project acceptance criteria, etc.) for assigned area of responsibility
• Establish project requirements with key stakeholders
• Provide leadership for projects, modifications, alterations, or manufacturing processes.
• Facilitate and lead monthly regional team meetings to ensure achievement of business, operations, and financial objectives. Actively participate in leadership meetings and document key issues, action items and decisions.
• Provide appropriate manufacturing knowledge and expertise to cross-functional business teams supporting short / long term strategy and execution. Ensure alignment with business and operational objectives.
• Act as effective team member on other project teams as required. Ensuring manufacturing requirements are met.
• Demonstrate leadership role from a technical perspective. Perform as a technical / functional expert in their own discipline. Broaden exposure to other manufacturing disciplines.
• Effectively participate in all phases of project methodologies to include appropriate initiation, planning, implementation and control, and close-out elements.
• Provide periodic project updates to appropriate functional / non-functional management.
• Actively coach other employees in order to share expertise. Seek coaching as it relates to customer processes.
• Share expertise and knowledge to foster continuous improvement of the organization (project team or functional unit).
• Be an advocate and role model for safety within their area of responsibility
• Participate in a project critique at completion and share key learning’s with others unassociated with the project.
• Provide recognition or recommendations for recognition to sub-team members.
• Direct responsibility to project manager for project results.
• Participate in a limited range of projects which may have significant financial and/or strategic impact on the corporation.
• Practice adaptive work style to effectively participate on projects in a global operating arena. Leverage experience working with many different cultures.
• Manages the monthly business metric consolidation and reporting. Monitors and reports metric performance to regional management. Highlights risk areas that need corrective action. Facilitates monthly KRI reviews with cross-functional regional leadership highlighting risks & opportunities.
• Provides financial analysis related to capital projects, strategic investments, cost reduction, and other initiatives as required.
• MEC Strategic Metrics such as:
o Meet Key Project Targets
? Financials objectives per AR
? Schedule Objectives
? Quality and Performance measures -- cost reduction, yield improvement, fundamental understanding, etc.
o Project “Quality” measures – cost reduction, yield improvement, fundamental understanding, etc.
o Actively participate and support Safety (ensure compliance for self & sub-team, complete training, OSHA records, Design for Safety, etc.)
o Project Team Feedback - documented positive project team feedback as a measure of meeting project team development requirements. Measures to include coaching and counseling, leadership, recognition, etc.
o Customer Feedback – documented positive customer feedback as a measure of meeting project requirements.
Competencies (knowledge, skills and behaviors):
• Building Effective Teams
o Blends people into teams when needed,
o Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team.
o Shares wins and successes.
o Fosters open dialogue.
o Let’s people finish and be responsible for their work.
o Defines success in terms of the whole team.
o Creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
• Cross Cultural Sensitivity
o Understands and can empathize with differences in people and cultures.
o Is not judgmental about differences.
o Respects differences.
o Operates at a minimal noise level.
o Tries to learn the local language.
o Dutifully participates in local rituals and ceremonies.
o Understands nuances of local cultures.
o Handles and is comfortable with diversity.
• Integrity and Trust
o Is widely trusted, seen as a direct, truthful individual.
o Keeps confidences.
o Admits and takes responsibility for own mistakes.
o Doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
• Motivating Others
o Leads and works effectively with project team. Leads sub-team to needed results.
o Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of team or project members.
o Demonstrates excellent balance between task completion and maintaining positive relationship with customers, project team, management, vendors, etc.
o Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important.
• Customer Focus
o Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal customers.
o Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in services.
o Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
o On-site person who ensures all team members realize the importance of the customer.
o Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult