Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
• Examine optical communications trends and emerging system technologies to determine market needs from a fiber product and demand perspective.
• Work with technical experts both inside and outside Corning to identify fiber solutions for future networks.
• Create value propositions for current and future Corning Optical Fiber and cable products.
• Serve as the technical expert to support Corning Optical Fiber and Cable commercial groups in external interactions with customers.
• Opportunity to become the commercial lead on Stage I and II Innovation projects as they arise.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Understand market and user trends in the optical communication industry:
o to identify needs for future optical fiber products and attribute improvements
o to deepen understanding of product demand drivers and capacitization requirements
• Serve as a subject matter expert on the diverse application spaces that the optical fiber portfolio serves.
• Work with product line management (PLM) organization to gain deep understanding of fiber product line needs.
• Develop value propositions for optical fiber products and deliver as impactful sales presentation content.
• Support the Sales team with product value-selling through customer specific value prop benefit modeling.
• Develop relationships with end users and system houses to guide technology development efforts.
• Cooperate with manufacturing to align product development proposals with manufacturing capability/goals.
• Serve as a subject matter expert for market understanding input to Stage I-III Innovation projects.
• Manage new product early lifecycle; go to market planning, supply/demand, competitive position and handover to PLM.
• Provide fiber market and product development input to Optical Fiber and Cable annual technology review.
• 20-30% domestic & international travel
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Applied Physics, Telecommunications or Electrical/Electronic Engineering with 4 or more years of experience in the telecoms industry (alternatively a Master’s degree in the aforementioned fields with at least 2 years of experience in the telecoms industry).
• PhD in Optical Communications or Optical Physics/Engineering (no industrial experience required)
• Strong customer facing skills – ability to discuss product evolution with technologically astute customers/partners at senior levels.
• Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across technical, manufacturing and commercial functions.
• Understanding of basics of fiber optic transmission systems and their application spaces
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills; understand trends and correlate observed variables/parameters
• Aptitude for early stage market and technical development work – comfortable with uncertainty, has creativity to fill in details that don’t yet exist.
• Forward looking, decisive, logical and sound technical judgment in conditions of ambiguity
• Critical thinking & problem solving with strong attention to detail
• Prior experience of market/product development or product line management would be an advantage.
• In depth knowledge of the use of multimode fiber in shorter reach communications (LAN, Data Centers, Consumer), or single mode fibers in access and long haul networks.
• Project management skills & experience (planning, mobilizing people, driving action, managing progress, measuring performance).
• A natural networker – specific talents in building and maintaining relationships with internal and external industry people.
• Excellent interpersonal skills -- proven history as a team player.
• Initiative – operates well independently, anticipates issues and proactively works to prevent or resolve them.
• Flexibility & adaptability – ability to manage multiple priorities and change as required.
• A good listener.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled