Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Specialty Materials is a leader in providing high performance materials and process capabilities of strategic necessity for targeted customers and the markets they serve -- semiconductors, lighting products and industrial materials.
Corning is a leading supplier of technologically advanced materials and customer-driven solutions for the ophthalmic industry and selected optics markets. Leveraging our revolutionary invention of glass photochromic eyeglass lens materials in the 1960s, we have expanded our product offering to include one of the world’s most technologically advanced plastic photochromic lenses.
Corning Semiconductor Optics is a leading world-class supplier of optical materials, high performance precision optics, optical-based metrology instruments and technical microlithography solutions for the semiconductor industry. Our core technical expertise lies in fused silica and fluoride crystals, materials and processing, optical-based metrology instrumentation, and high performance optics through Corning Tropel.
To know more about Corning's Specialty Materials Division, please visit us at:
Scope of Position:
This technical leadership position is in the development group based at Fairport NY with the focus on product and process developed for key optical coating programs. This position includes defining scope, timeline and specifications hand in hand with customers, commercial and manufacturing groups A thorough understanding of optical coatings, customer applications and internal coating manufacturing capabilities and limitations is required.
The position includes the design and process development for optical coatings, metrology of substrates and debugging of process mishaps. It also includes generation of IP, documentation of findings in technical reports and the required process documentation for transfer to manufacturing.
A candidate must be flexible to work on all aspects to technically lead new development programs, identifying gaps and roadmaps for future products and capabilities and be able to closely work with scientist inside and outside of Corning.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Technical leadership for development programs
- Develop optical coating process and design
- Establish, debug and optimize coating processes at vacuum deposition chambers
- Analyze coating performances and compare to design
- Propose process and equipment improvements
- Meet with customers, commercial and manufacturing to define project scoop and timeline
- Identify gaps and roadmaps for key technologies
Travel Requirements: up to 25% (continental US) Keene, Corning, customers
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40h / For optimizing equipment availability flexibility to cover second shift (3:00pm to 11:00pm) schedule might be required.
- Deep material science understanding
- Extended vacuum coating technology experience
- Coating metrology experience (Ellipsometry, spectrophotometry, AFM, …)
- Surface characterization experience
- Good understanding of optical systems
- Thin-Film design and analysis software skills (Optilayer, Essential McCloud, TF-Calc, Filmstar, WVASE32)
- Basic computer skill (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- Technical leadership of development programs
- Transfer from Development to Manufacturing
- Positive attitude
- Flexible and agile
- Team player
- Project management
Education and Experience:
- Master or PhD in material science, physics or optical engineering (or similar)
- 5-10 years experience in Optics and Thin-Film development
- Good verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work independently
- Appropriately manage workload with a sense of priorities
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}