Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
• Improving manufacturing capability (e.g. efficiencies, yields, cycle time, and/or material utilization) by identifying and eliminating root cause(s) of variability
• Problem solving and/or process improvement using a structured methodical approach and appropriate application of statistics (e.g. Six Sigma)
• Evaluating impact on the product/process from new or existing: raw materials, processes, and/or equipment parameters
• Evaluating measurement systems to improve quality and/or reduce inspection costs
• Designing experiments to identify key process inputs/interactions and impact on product
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Support cross discipline project teams for Research, Development, Engineering, and Manufacturing projects.
• Apply statistical techniques to solve problems of diverse scope.
• Exercise judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. The project portfolio covers a broad range of business areas including Life Sciences, Display Technologies (LCD glass), Environmental Technologies (Automotive and Diesel), Specialty Materials, and Strategic Growth (new business development
Travel Requirements: 10-50%, possible international travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8am-5pm typically
• MS or PhD in Applied Statistics with strong interest in applied statistics in Manufacturing and Research environments.
• College level classes in engineering and/or physics.
• Internship in industry or some hands-on experience with real problems (consulting) is a plus.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 0-10 years
• Strong statistical knowledge in these areas: descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, designed experiments, regression and correlation analysis, measurement system analysis
• Familiarity and proficiency in the use of computer based statistical applications (e.g. Minitab, SAS, JMP, StatEase, etc.)
• Ability to influence diverse technical teams
• Enjoy problem solving in a technical environment with a high level of technical curiosity
• Ability to present data and analysis in both verbal and written/graphical form that broad audiences can understand
• Statistical knowledge in other areas: nonparametric methods, time series analysis, reliability analysis, multivariate analysis, statistical process control, process capability studies, sample size determination, acceptance sampling, data mining, and comparison tests
• Advanced Excel skills, including pivot table functions and macros
• Familiarity with OSI-Pi, SQL server queries and using Access databases