Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
If you are interested in developing and implementing measurements and inspection systems destined for the rapid pace of manufacturing, this is your job. You will be using the latest technologies and the education you have acquired to explore our manufacturing processes through the use of novel process measurements and product inspection systems. You bring the education in physics, optics, electrical engineering or computer science and we will combine that with mentoring and training with today’s latest approaches and technologies. This position is a blend of theoretical and hands-on work. You will be a part of Corning’s Measurement and Controls Fast-track program geared to hire, train and place engineers with 0-2 years of experience into Corning’s businesses as a first step in your career with Corning. The engineer will apply their skills towards design, development, and implementation of manufacturing process measurements and control systems.
Scope of Position:
• This is an individual position that requires strong technical curiosity, strong desire for technical leadership opportunities, the ability to learn from others and the willingness to share learning experiences
• Design, develop and implement measurement and inspection solutions for Engineering and Manufacturing processes, concentration on process measurement and product inspection design and implementation.
• Develop and apply measurement and inspection skills to implement solutions to challenges ranging from difficult environments such as that to form molten glass, to the detection of imperceptible defects using vision image analysis and algorithm development. All solutions must be assembled in a reliable and useable system for fast paced production environment.
• Work with process SMEs and apply process data analysis skills to gain fundamental understanding of manufacturing processes
• Evaluate existing measurement and inspection capabilities utilizing system analysis approaches and propose enhancements
• Work and communicate in multi-disciplined project teams.
• Utilize industry standard tools
• Documentation of designs and implementations
• Generate Patent Invention Disclosures
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Work closely with experienced professionals to design, develop and implement process measurements and product inspection solutions for manufacturing processes.
• Facilitate the transfer of new measurements and inspection solutions into manufacturing
• Work closely with manufacturing to define appropriate user interfaces and hardware and software platforms.
• Evaluate readiness of process control solutions and measurement systems from R&D
• Technology/Knowledge transfer from R&D and corporate engineering group to worldwide plants
• Develop deep process and equipment understanding
• Conduct design of experiments (DOE) to gather process related data, and identify multi-variant relationships.
• Bachelors, Masters (preferred) in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Computer Science.
• Ability to work across functional areas to collect and develop consensus on project requirements.
• Develop, design, and engineer solutions, and deliver a system as part of a team or individually.
• Understand system constraints based on legacy interfaces, standards and users.
• 0-2 year’s experience in electrical, software, optics or vision based design and implementation.
• Strong computer software development skills.
• Strong mathematics and algorithm development.
• Use of tools like MATLAB to perform data analysis, signal processing, control design, controls system performance analysis and tuning, and plot generation.
• Strong communications skills that span from non-technical to very technical interactions
Strong understanding or a great desire and ability to learn:
• Optical theory
• Image capture, lighting, cameras, 3rd party imaging tools
• C#, C++
• Data acquisition techniques
• A working understanding of automated controls and motion
• Database design and data mining / analysis tools
• Multi-variant analysis (PCA, PLS)
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.