Scope of Position:
This is an individual position that requires strong technical curiosity across many technologies, a desire for technical leadership, and the ability to learn and share with others. As part of a global team, this position provides measurement automation solutions to Corning’s Optical Connectivity business to deliver best in class components to our customers.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Work closely with experienced professionals and a variety of cross functional groups (manufacturing, development, engineering, etc…) to define, develop and implement product measurement and instrumentation systems.
· Transfer technology from early stage development to a product ready for installation in a manufacturing environment.
· Develop and apply measurement system analysis techniques to ensure proper measurement system application.
· Leverage external suppliers with key technologies or systems integration expertise to develop, order, procure, build, checkout and install measurement systems in Corning’s Optical Communications global production facilities.
· Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement improvements to the measurement systems or production process.
· Create/update documentation for release to production including machine specifications, operating procedures, and drawing packages.
· Train engineering, maintenance and operations people how to use and maintain the measurement systems.
· Serve as project lead and/or technical team member on equipment deployment/development projects.
· Assure quality and repeatability of processes and products.
· Visibly support the establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment.
· 0-15% travel domestic and international (Mexico, Brazil, Poland, China)
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
· 40+ hours/week
· BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optics, or Physics
Required Years and Area of Experience:
· 0-2+ years’ work experience in systems development, optical test equipment and/or manufacturing
· Excellent problem solving skills
· Demonstrated excellence in engineering courses
· Ability to work in technical project teams in leadership and team member roles
· Implementation of technical programs according to their priorities and action plans
· Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment
· General computer and networking knowledge
· Strong communication and presentation skills
· Data retrieval, plotting and analysis
· Working knowledge of test equipment used to characterize various fiber optic assemblies. This can include, but is not limited to – equipment capable of measuring optical power loss, attenuation (OTDR), interferometers, and microscopy (end-face inspection) equipment.
· Experience with computer-based measurement or automation equipment setup and support
· Experience with Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility (GR&R), Measurement System Analysis (MSA), and Measurement Uncertainty Analysis
· Experience with optical manufacturing, including assembly process & device testing
· Experience in manufacturing environment
· Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio developmental tools (VB, C#, VC++, .NET a plus) or LabVIEW development tools
· Working knowledge of Matlab, Minitab, or other mathematical/statistical analysis tools
· Demonstrated project management experience
· Drafting ability with ProE and/or AutoCAD
· Ability to work closely with internal customers around the world to meet customer requirements
· Ability to work individually and on teams to execute projects on time, on budget, and with expected results
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Strong initiative
· Accountable for actions/behaviors
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;