Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at: http://www.corning.com/r_d/index.aspx
Scope of Position:
- Define and execute M&C strategy for Glass Forming
- Work in a high performance development, engineering and manufacturing team setting to design, procure, install, debug and transfer measurement, controls and Inspection equipment to manufacturing.
- Technical engineer leader with project management experience able to apply project management when needed and engineering principles to complete projects on time and budget
- Successful candidate will be able to apply expertise and navigate problems associated with projects from all areas from concept design to final technology transfer in a fashion that meets good manufacturing practice (GMP) and other required agency standards
- Link with Product Engineering to understand requirements
- Lead creation and ownership of the process context map
- Link with Data Management leader
- Manage the selection and integration of equipment/technologies
- Report out status Program M&C Manager
- Link with process engineering/quality/product engineering to identify CTQ’s
- Recommendation for long term M&C strategy to meet program objectives
- Hire, train and build a group to accomplish the business objectives
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Lead Technology/Knowledge Transfer from Central Engineering group to World Wide plants
- Lead and manage controls/electrical design/metrology/development efforts for glass melting and forming as well as controls/electrical development groups with a focus on “upfront” engineering
- Excellent process understanding with a background in glass melting will be required in order to achieve these goals effectively
- This is a functional position that requires strong technical curiosity, strong leadership skills, and the ability to leverage and train others
- Interface with Research, Development and Plant Engineering to ensure project deliverables meet product and division requirements
- Overall coordination of activities and resources for projects
- Ensure required technology transfer documentation is maintained and delivered throughout the project
- Provide technical leadership and subject matter expertise to project engineers
- Manage and build a team of process controls and measurements engineers to support the business
- Up to 20% possible, including international
- On-site assignments at manufacturing operations worldwide
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours, Monday – Friday; weekend possible depending on location
Required Education: B.S. – M.S. in Electrical or Chemical Engineering or equivalent
Required Years and Area of Experience: Minimum of 15 years of hands-on project management experience
- Minimum of 15 years of hands-on project management experience
- Competent in problem solving tools, decision analyses, FMEA, potential problem analyses.
- Strong Leadership skills. This includes working well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering) and providing/receiving direction
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Ability to plan upfront, communicates issues, and executes solutions quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment
- Ability to multi-task and change direction and focus as needed
- Good overall knowledge of control/electrical hardware and software
- Ability to learn quickly
- Mobility: Willing to travel and temporarily reside at various worldwide locations as required.
- Experience in designing measurements and control systems
o Writing Functional Requirements
o Defining process requirements
o Leading an internal and external team to execute
- Broad understanding of various equipment, and automated handling processes
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory codes
- Ability to step in as an individual contributor when needed and lead a team when needed
- Experience using Rockwell PLC’s, HMI’s and Servos
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Strong interpersonal skills – effective at interacting and communicating across varying payroll levels and different functional groups
- Able to lead and work in a team environment to solve problems and drive project work and technical discussions forward
- Able to lead a technical team or provide technical leadership in a larger project team.
- Able to identify long lead time items and anticipate project hurdles before they can turn into problems.
- Confident presentation skills – ability to tailor message to the audience
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}