Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Projects involved with: Project focus will be implementation of robust, cost effective automation and process machine systems in Corning’s manufacturing plants.
Role within group: Member of cross-functional project teams from concept generation and development, detail design / build, system integration through production start-up in manufacturing. Day to Day
- Assigned to engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective automation and machine systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
- Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanical engineering and equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop basic understanding of process and equipment design requirements.
- Focus will be on the design, debug, installation, and start-up of process machines, machine components and material handling systems. Responsible to develop fundamental understanding of assigned areas (material selection, error budgets, tolerance analysis, component specification, process requirements, machine functionality, etc).
- Assist with appropriate proof of concept and prototype testing to validate design concept.
- Work with external machine builders, system integrators, and suppliers to successfully deliver assigned areas of responsibility to overall project team on-time, on-budget, and in satisfaction of process performance measures.
- Supports the generation of construction drawings, installation drawings, and ensures that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfies Corning drawing standards
- Actively participates in system integration & debug, installation, production start-up, and training of plant personnel.
- Report on project activities, status, and issues on a periodic basis to project & department leadership.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments with minimal supervision.
- Estimate travel at 30% - 50% depending upon specific project assignment. Travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up as well as for routine interaction with Customers and Suppliers.
- International Travel - Possible based on project assignment
- Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Normal Business Hours (8 – 5, M – F), however, expected to work hours required to achieve project objectives including overtime, weekend, and off-shift hours during equipment installation and production start-up.
Required Education: B.S. / M.S. - Mechanical Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience: Minimum 5 years in Mechanical Engineering.
- High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position. Interest and ability to learn, develop, and advance technical skills in mechanical design, process equipment development, robotics, material handling, and system integration.
- Fundamental understanding of materials, process, mechanical design, and robotics to enable the development of cost effective process machine systems.
- Ability to use experimentation to develop basic process knowledge, design prototype test systems, and perform proof of principle testing to validate design approach.
- Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: electro-mechanical drive systems, fluid power, pneumatics, robotics, material handling, alignment, part sensing, and safety standards.
- Ability to effectively leverage and manage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
- Demonstrated skills in 2-D and 3-D CAD (Solidworks), Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, and knowledge of the latest ANSI Y14.5 drafting standards.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and contribute to a highly matrixed project team.
- Self starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
- Results-oriented with a high commitment level.
- Willing to travel, as detailed below.
- Forward looking
- Knowledge of glass and ceramic manufacturing
- Experienced with SolidWorks and AutoCAD design software
- Experience with use of standard computer modeling and analysis software packages used in design of mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of precision engineering principles
- Experience designing systems for deployment in “clean room” or “contamination sensitive” applications
- Ability to work on a diverse project team
- Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change
- Strong communication skills
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}