Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
• Projects involved with: Project focus will be implementation of robust, cost effective automation and process machine systems in Corning’s manufacturing plants.
• Role within group: Member of a cross-functional project teams through concept generation and development, detail design / build, system integration and production start-up in manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Assigned to engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective process machine and automation systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
• Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanical engineering and process equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop fundamental understanding of process and equipment design requirements.
• Defines and documents machine design specifications, errors budgets, develops mechanical design concepts, designs and follows construction of prototype and production process equipment, conducts proof of concept tests, collects and evaluates data, and makes appropriate engineering recommendations.
• Interface with external machine builders, system integrators, and suppliers to specify and successfully deliver fully integrated process machine systems to their internal Customers on-time, on-budget, and in satisfaction of process performance measures.
• Prepares or directs the generation of construction drawings, installation drawings, and ensures that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfies Corning drawing standards.
• Actively participates in system integration /debug, installation, production start-up, and training of plant personnel.
• Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements and standards.
• Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated funds. Estimate time required to accomplish tasks and monitor performance against schedules.
• Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision.
• Estimate travel at 30%, depending upon specific project assignment. Travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up as well as for routine interaction with Customers and Suppliers.
• International Travel: Possible based on project assignment
Hours of work: Normal Business Hours (8 – 5, M – F), however, expected to work hours required to achieve project objectives
Required Education: B.S. / M.S. Mechanical Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5 – 15 years in mechanical engineering experience in the design and development of production process machinery, dynamic mechanisms, and / or automated systems.
• High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position.
• Strong fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, flexible automation, robotics, material handling, and system integration including development of process machine /system design specifications, error budgets, and proof of principle testing.
• 5 – 15 years’ experience developing and delivering fully integrated machine /automation systems to manufacturing requiring the integration of commercially available technologies into robust process manufacturing solutions.
• Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: electro-mechanical drive systems, fluid power, pneumatics, robotics, material handling, alignment, part sensing, and safety standards.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively leverage and manage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
• Demonstrated skills in 2-D and 3-D CAD, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance, and knowledge of ANSI Y14.5-1994 drafting standard.
• Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed project team.
• Self-starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
• Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
• Results oriented with a high commitment level
• Forward looking
• Knowledge of glass and ceramic manufacturing
• Experienced with Solid works and AutoCAD design software
• Experience with use of standard computer modeling and analysis software packages used in design of mechanical systems.
• Knowledge of precision engineering principles
• Experience designing systems for deployment in “clean room” or “contamination sensitive” applications
• Prior experience moving a new product / manufacturing process from development into manufacturing
• Ability to work on a diverse project team
• Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change
• Strong communication skills
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.