Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position: Function as a metallurgical specialist on projects in all stages of innovation
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Laboratory simulations and experiments
- Failure analyses
- Material recommendations
- Developing and writing metal specifications
- Vendor selection and qualification
- Solve materials issue that cause process or product defects
- Make metal and process recommendations based on root cause analysis
- Design and carry out lab tests and production experiments to gain fundamental understanding and solve material issues.
Travel Requirements: 10-20%, some international required
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Standard M-F 8-5 with overtime for meetings and travel as required
Required Education: MS or PhD in a materials related field (will consider the exceptional BS degreed candidate)
Required Years and Area of Experience: 2-5 years of experience
- Diverse metallurgical background
- Knowledge of a wide range of metals
- Strength in physical and chemical metallurgy
- Strong engineering skill base
- Understanding of basic strength of materials calculations
- Working understanding of corrosion and electrochemistry
- Knowledge of heat transfer and diffusion calculations
- Technical curiosity with rigorous problem solving skills
- Comfortable with projects in a laboratory to manufacturing environment
- In depth understanding of one or more of the following areas:
o Applied electrochemistry
o Refractory and precious metals
o Metallurgical thermodynamics
o High temperature corrosion and oxidation
o Metallic and ceramic coatings
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong team player
- Ability to relate with a range of co-workers with diverse backgrounds, functional experiences, and levels in the organization.
- Ability to act as a technical consultant.
- Strong verbal and written skills
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}