Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
Responsible for managing the engineering team to improve equipment and process effectiveness and yields, drive product cost reduction activities, and facilitate new technology and product introductions. Drive the application of scientific and technological principles to operations or activities in the production of manufactured products. Make determinations regarding manufacturing methods, equipment layout, capacity utilization, process and product improvements, and process control systems. Drive manufacturing fundamental understanding though application of knowledge and methods for understanding physical phenomena to achieve specified characteristics and criteria for products and processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Support cable manufacturing in an around-the-clock manufacturing environment.
- Supervise team of Engineers and Technicians
- Work with Plant Engineering Manager to set and implement short and long term engineering strategy to achieve plant production, quality, safety and financial goals
- Coach and mentor engineering personnel as appropriate to build and leverage skill sets to enhance effectiveness of engineering group
- Understand internal customer stated and implied needs and ensure their expectations are being met
- Define and track engineering objectives that link to the overall plant and business objectives
- Assign objectives and projects to direct reports. Provide guidance on project priority to ensure direct reports are focused on the appropriate project if conflicts arise
- Interface with and support Research and Development and Global Engineering on new product and process introductions, raw material changes, and equipment design changes
- Foster communication and sharing of best practices between cable manufacturing plants
- Ensure all engineering related activities are conducted in accordance with established design and process control procedures
- Conduct periodic Performance Development and Reviews with subordinates
- Establish development plans for direct reports and track progress.
- Track and manage any capital spending projects as appropriate
- Provide technical recommendations to plant management on equipment purchases, material choices and long term plant capacity and equipment layout
- Ensure all work performed in a safe manner and environment. Responsible for his/her safety, as well as that of others that may be at the facility, whether working or visiting.
- Responsible for observing safe work practices and being proactive for reporting any unsafe conditions.
- Increase throughput in the bottleneck process by improving yield, and reducing set-up time
- Utilize Lean manufacturing principles to reduce manufacturing costs
- Apply DMAIC principles to achieve project objectives
Travel Requirements: Less than 10%
Required Education: Bachelors' degree in mechanical, electrical, chemical engineering or equivalent
Required Years and Area of Experience: At least 5 years manufacturing engineering experience
- Excellent Organizational Skills
- Proven data based decision making skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Green Belt certification
- Optical Cable Manufacturing Experience
- Professional Engineer Certification
- Lean Manufacturing and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Experience
- Previous supervisory experience
- Team facilitation skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Professional written and spoken communication skills
- Initiative to determine projects that will benefit the business in most effective manner
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}