Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Engineer responsible for modeling of new processes and/or process conditions for improved product attributes or reduced manufacturing cost supporting Corning Environmental and Life Sciences businesses. Expectation of developing novel modeling/ analytical tools or utilizing existing tools to gain fundamental understanding of underlying principles.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Apply chemical engineering principles, modeling tools, and experimental skills using data-rich laboratory instrumentation to improve process understanding and assess proposed process modifications.
• Serve as a key technical team member supporting complex cross-functional team projects
• Collaborating with material scientists, process scientists, modeling scientists, project managers, chemists and various divisions to achieve common goals.
• Communicating and documenting
Travel Requirements: <10% primarily to plants and conferences
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+ hours per week w/ flex time
Required Education: PhD in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical or related discipline
Required Years and Area of Experience: 1-3 yrs. of work experience in similar field preferred
• Strong knowledge for reaction engineering, including detailed modeling and experimental characterization of complex reaction systems.
• Excellent knowledge of modeling and simulation, chemical engineering principles including: reaction kinetics, chemical thermodynamics, heat and mass transport, engineering statistics.
• Knowledge of design of experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis of experimental results. Experience in model-based DOE and parameter estimation is preferred.
• Providing technical leadership by delivering innovative solutions during evaluation of existing products and processes, new products and processes, and evaluation of new technology applications
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to both summarize critical results and to write in-depth technical reports
• Advanced problem solving skills.
• Strong mathematical and programming skills (experience or knowledge of CFD tools – Comsol, ANSYS Fluent and Polyflow)
• Knowledge of ceramic and/or glass processes
• Interest in technical leadership of teams
• Ability to work within a team environment
• Ability to manage needs across cross functional teams
• Able to identifying long term needs/goals and determine short term objectives to achieve
• Ability to work independently
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.