Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
Purpose of Position:
• Responsible for researching and developing ideas and processes for new products (bench-top laboratory equipment) from concept through production. Improve upon the performance and design of existing products. Responsible for managing and integrating work of outside vendors including industrial designers, manufacturing partners and compliance agencies.
• Provides high level technical and analytical expertise for solving chronic issues and overcoming significant technological hurdles. Identifies and drives step change improvements for cost, quality, and capacity. Develops and implements new enabling processes/ technologies to support unit or division priorities. Technology gatekeeper – monitors, communicates, and sanctions best practices and consistent application of technology.
• Design, model, and test prototypes for products (bench-top laboratory equipment)
• Conduct research and create design briefs and proposals for projects.
• Create concepts, performance, and production criteria.
• Identify and select materials needed for production.
• Create complete 3D models, drawings, specifications and related documents to produce prototypes and production.
• Produce functioning prototypes for testing and demonstration.
• Work with Product managers on marketing initiatives for products
• Negotiate appropriate production processes.
• Travel to production facilities to evaluate processes.
• Improve usability of an item.
• Manage relationships with outsourced Industrial Designers, Engineering Groups, Component Suppliers, Manufacturing Partners and Listing Agencies.
• Provides high level problem solving capabilities.
• Develop and protect fundamental knowledge and IP, including IP improvement’s
• Lead project teams in use of statistical tools and DOE for process problem solving and process/product improvement.
Required Education: BS Engineering or Applied Science along with 7 plus yrs. related experience
• Experience in the design, development or manufacturing of electro-mechanical equipment
• Strong Statistical analysis capabilities including Design of Experiments (DOE)
• Proficient at 3D CAD, Solid works preferred
• Lean Fundamentals
• Demonstrated experience leading teams with clear and significant, demonstrable financial impact
• Demonstrated ability to permanently solve difficult manufacturing issues (crises or chronic)
• Lead new process/ product/ innovation project(s)
• Knowledge sharing across division - e.g. core technologist
• Basic understanding of manufacturing cost accounting and drivers
• Self-starter. Ability to take the initiative to ensure business objectives are met with minimum direction.
Communication Skill: Must be able to communicate plans, thoughts, and rationale in the job.
Project Management: Ability to manage time, supplies, personnel and funds.
• Advanced degree in Engineering or applied science
• Black Belt certification
• Plant experience
• Experience across multiple divisions, functions
• Global experience
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled