Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Provide Project leadership for Facility construction and capital projects. Manage the development and implementation facility and process support service projects involving departmental and/or cross-functional teams focused on the construction of new or existing productions facilities.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Provide project management for key manufacturing capital projects.
• Understand nature of the business.
• Establish requirements with customer.
• Assist in the evaluation and verify justification for project.
• Establish roles, responsibilities and competencies required for the project.
• Establish project team working with Operating Division, plant and/or MT&E management.
• Manage the performance of team members and outside resources to meet the project requirements.
• Establish project plans (scopes, schedule, cost estimates, procurement/contracting strategy, project acceptance criteria, etc.).
• Work with business in the preparation and approval of Appropriation Requests.
• Conduct project meetings and document key issues, action items and decisions.
• For key projects, establish and coordinate activities of a steering committee for the project.
• Provide periodic project updates to customer and MT&E management.
• Manage the project to meet the requirements.
• Implement safety program to ensure that LTAs and Recordable Incidence rate = or < Corporate targets.
• Conduct a project critique at completion and share key learning’s with others unassociated with the project.
• Provide recognition to team members.
• Able to travel extensively including overseas. Assignment could involve long term domestic or international assignments.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Basic work hours are dependent on the particular assignment. Individuals need to work the hours required to complete the assignment. Work hours can vary from 40 to 60 hours per week depending on the needs of the project.
Required Education and Experience:
• Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering
• 15 to 20 years overall experience with 10 year’s experience in Project management
• MS or MBA preferred
• Professional Engineering registration or PMI certification desired
• Relationship Building
o Face to face contact with internal and external customers, adapts to the situation and people involved.
o Demonstrates respect for the perspective of other
• Information Utilization
o Asks open-ended questions and checks for understanding to generate accurate data.
o Listens to the hidden messages in what people say.
• Team Building
o Builds consensus among team’s members on goals, tactics and accountability.
o Puts together a competent team and develops a strong sense of team values.
o Understands the goal and priorities of the customer.
o Connects people with the appropriate resources.
• Change Facilitator
o Challenges status quo by identifying opportunities for continuous improvements.
• Planning and organizing
o Frequently updates action plans to conform to changing organizational and customer goals.
o Specifies challenging goals, time lines and expected outcomes in detail and tracks progress.
o Manages time and resources effectively to meet promised deadlines.
• Priority Setting
o Develop criteria for prioritizing work task.
o Focuses on the most significant activities with the highest business potential and impact.
• PC Software:
o MS Word, Project, Excel, Outlook, Auto Cad, and PowerPoint
o Knowledge of project
• Quality Results Oriented
o Specifies, clarifies and reaches agreement about requirements with customers and suppliers.
o Keeps team members involved and informed.
o Puts meeting the customer requirements as a high priority.
o Manages by prevention.
• Procurement Process
o Development of a procurement strategy.
o Bidder qualification and selection process.
o Request for quotation process.
o Knowledge of contract terms and conditions.
o Negotiation skills
o Contract administration
o Contract change order process
• Project Safety
o Corporate requirements and standards/processes.
o Awareness of OSHA requirements.
o Knowledge of Corporate Staff group.
o Ability to set the tone for safety on the project.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making-
o Solicits and uses advice from others to help make key decisions in a timely fashion.
o Interfaces with functional counterparts before acting to specify problems,
o Generate possible solutions, plans and contingencies before acting.
o Understands that the best solutions are found through others.
o Experienced with and a proponent of K-T (DA, PPA, RA).
• Communication – able to effectively communicate within different levels in the internal Corning organization and with external engineering and construction companies.
• Matrix Management– ability to effectively work with matrix team that from a number of internal and external organizations. Able to influence and achieve project requirements. Interface with team member’s management.
• Achievement Oriented- Continually setting high goals and striving toward excellence.
• Self-confidence- Has strong belief in own abilities, takes personal responsibility and project positive self-image.
• Commitment- Possesses strong work ethic and interest in doing what is necessary to get the task done.
• Persistence - Maintains optimistic, “can do” attitude.
• Flexibility- Has ability to change and adjust smoothly as the situation demands.
• Effectively manage the project through changing conditions and requirements.
• Honesty/Integrity- Keeps promises and is open, ethical, and trustworthy
• Leadership-Provide project leadership to team members in a matrix organizational structure.
• Provide coaching to team members when required (this is not intended to rep