Scope of Position:
• Work in a high performance development, engineering and manufacturing team setting to design, procure, install, debug and transfer Measurement, Controls and Inspection equipment to manufacturing.
• Work on multiple medium to large, capital projects concurrently in support of division objectives with a focus on process understanding and building core capability
• Technical engineer with some project management experience able to apply project management when needed and engineering principles to complete projects on time and budget
• Successful candidate will be able to apply expertise and navigate problems associated with projects from all areas from concept design to final technology transfer in a fashion that meets good manufacturing practice (GMP) and other required agency standards
• Provide manufacturing support on an as needed basis
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Participate and potentially lead technology/knowledge transfer from central engineering group to worldwide manufacturing sites
• Participate as part of a team in controls/electrical design/metrology/development efforts for secondary processing and controls/electrical development groups with a focus on “upfront” engineering
• Thoroughly document all designs/developments to ensure fast and efficient technology transfer to the manufacturing facilities with a focus on clear documented functional requirements documentation
• Excellent process understanding and an innate technical curiosity will be required in order to achieve these goals effectively
• This is a functional position that requires strong technical skills and may require the ability to leverage and train others.
• Interface with Research, Development and Plant Engineering to ensure project deliverables meet product and division requirements
• Ensure required technology transfer documentation is maintained and delivered throughout the project
• Provide technical leadership and subject matter expertise to project engineers
• 25+% possible, including international
• On-site assignments at manufacturing operations worldwide
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• 40 hours, Monday – Friday; weekend possible depending on location or possible project work
• B.S. – M.S. in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
• Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience including demonstrated internships or coop experience
• Competent in problem solving tools, decision analyses, FMEA, potential problem analyses.
• Ability to work well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering) and providing/receiving direction
• Strong problem solving skills
• Ability to troubleshoot electrical, measurement, and process control equipment, PLCs, and data collection systems and/or leverage resources to accomplish the same.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
• Ability to plan upfront, communicate issues, and execute solutions quickly and efficiently.
• High level of ownership and commitment to drive problems to resolution.
• Ability to work in a diverse environment
• Ability to multi-task and change direction and focus as needed
• Good overall knowledge of control/electrical hardware and software
• Ability to learn quickly
• Mobility: Willing to travel and temporarily reside at various worldwide locations as required.
• Experience in designing Measurements and Control Systems
· Writing Functional Requirements
· Defining process requirements
· Leading an internal and external team to execute objectives
• Broad understanding of industrial equipment and automated handling processes
• Knowledge of applicable regulatory codes
• Desire to build on technical skillsets and a desire in the future to lead technical teams
• Familiar with Rockwell Automation, Mitsubishi, and/or Siemens software and PLC systems
• Strong interpersonal skills – effective at interacting and communicating across varying payroll levels and different functional groups
• Able to lead, influence, and work in a team environment to solve problems and drive project work and technical discussions forward
• Able to lead a technical team or provide technical leadership in a larger project team.
• Able to identify long lead time items and anticipate project hurdles before they can turn into problems.
• Confident presentation skills – ability to tailor message to the audience
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs. To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at: http://www.corning.com/r_d/index.aspx
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";