Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
The applicant will be expected to lead their own projects and work in a multi-disciplinary research, development, and engineering environment to identify opportunities for advanced controls. The candidate will need to determine challenges, value propositions, and write proposals to initiate control projects; propose and define project objectives, scope, timeline and deliverables, and seek and identify resources to meet project needs.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• The candidate will be responsible for measurements and control systems strategy development for new and existing manufacturing processes.
• The successful candidate will be able to use fundamental process analysis, data analysis, and modeling skills to provide system understanding leading to control design.
• She/he will also be tasked with identifying measurements and sensor specifications required for process controls.
• To achieve the same, the ability to collaborate with experts in other disciplines such as modeling and instrumentation will often be required.
• The candidate will design and develop innovative advanced control solutions to meet technical challenges and implement solutions for R&D and manufacturing processes. This will be done by leveraging optimization techniques to improve process performance and efficiency and utilizing advanced controls skills to implement solutions such as linear/nonlinear controls, model predictive control, intelligent control, and supervisory controls.
• The candidate will generate intellectual property through appropriate technical reports, invention disclosures, and patent applications.
• As part of their responsibilities the candidate may be expected to participate in process control development as part of a Smart Manufacturing initiative.
Travel Requirements: Up to 20% travel may be required including international.
Required Education: Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5+ years of experience and a background in process control systems engineering.
• The candidate must have expertise in the design and development of control systems including advanced controls technologies
• Demonstrated impact delivering process control technology to a business, a client, or into manufacturing
• The candidate must have experience leading multi-disciplinary technical teams
• Ability to identify measurements and instrumentation technology needed for process control
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to sell technical ideas and initiatives
• The candidate must also be skilled in fundamental process and system understanding
• Strong understanding of process quality improvement methodologies such as Six Sigma
• First principle process modeling skills highly desired
• Strong knowledge of system dynamics theory
• Strong knowledge of fluid dynamics as well as heat and mass transfer
• System identification, signal processing, and statistics including multivariate statistical process control
• Experience using programming, simulation, and statistical tools such as Matlab/Simulink, Simca, R, C++/C#
• Background and application using process optimization methods
• Optimistic, “can do” attitude in the face of challenges and set-backs
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.