Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Sets up pump-probe experiments to study the interaction between short pulsed laser and transparent materials;
- Works to gain fundamental understanding of the interactions between high-power laser and optical materials;
- Explores new laser processing techniques for fabrication of micro- or nano-structured optical components;
- Develops laser processing for special optical materials with focus on high precision drilling, separation, surface finishing and texturing;
- Identifies and implements continuous improvement opportunities while working with cross-functional teams;
- Delivers oral and written reports, both to project teams and to broad audiences within R&D.
Travel Requirements: Averaging < 15%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Standard Hours are M-F, 8-5. Flex time is supported
Required Education: Ph.D. in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering or other relevant discipline.
Required Years and Area of Experience: At least two-years experience with time-resolved detection for short-pulsed laser processing
- Hands-on experience with pump-probe experiments
- Expertise at time-resolved detection for laser processing of transparent materials
- Ability to design high power laser optics for laser processing
- Strong background and extensive experience in laser material processing
- Ability to understand characteristics of conventional lasers for laser processing
- Strong track record of publications and innovations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn new areas.
- Experience with nonlinear optics, plasma physics, and physics associated with laser processing of transparent materials;
- Familiar with characterization techniques for analyzing processed samples;
- Hands-on experience with modeling tools on laser processing and optical modeling;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse teams;
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated;
- Flexible to adjust work schedule to accommodate business requirements.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}