Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
Position is a technical individual contributor with periodic supervisory duties of project teams. The role is responsible for the development and execution of project plans for customer driven programs at Corning Incorporated Sullivan Park Research Facility.
This position provides engineering vision and leadership to projects involving equipment, processes, or systems that have a large facilities services requirement, or are of sufficient complexity to require technical and project oversight. These projects will require communications of progress and issues with both the customer organization as well as internal operational and facility organizations, and will require coordination of outside engineering resources (A&E Firms, Construction Management firms, etc.)
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Lead multiple S&T technology enabling projects through application of the industry recognized PM project life-cycle management processes and tools. This would include such detailed elements as:
· Customer communication and requirement definition
· PI sheet creation
· Project plan definition
· Project cost and budget estimation and tracking
· Project schedule development and tracking
· Project scope development and tracking
· Project change management/control
· Project Deliverables
· Project Scope met
· Code and regulatory requirements are met
· Stakeholder requirements
· Customer requirements
· General Acceptance criteria definition and sign-off
· Stakeholder identification and inclusion
· Communication to stakeholders and project leadership
· Responsible for creation and maintenance of project drawings
· Maintain record of Project Performance Metrics
· Documentation of customer and stakeholder meetings and communications
· Management and coordination of outside engineering resources
· Management and coordination of internal trades and outside contractors
· Liaison between stakeholders and customers including negotiation of deliverables
· Liaison between internal organizations with strong consensus building focus
· Time management between multiple priorities, projects and customers
· Master Site Plan (MSP) review for suitability of locations.
· Assess suitability of infrastructure system for specific customer requirements
· Identification of site and infrastructure system drawings
· Gap analysis for infrastructure systems
· Completion of service data sheets
· Assure design of infrastructure system/tie-ins meet specific customer and stakeholder requirements
· Procure, create or update site and infrastructure system drawings
· Interface with Procurement Managers
· Supervisory duties with matrix or project reports as required
Travel Requirements: <5% typical, Normally for training or possibly for equipment checkout on large projects.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8a-5pm typical. Schedule flexibility can be considered as required to meet business objectives and support work/life balance.
Required Education: BS in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, Civil/Structural) or successful Project Management experience of 10 years in Engineering Discipline with at least 5 years Project Engineering/Management role. Facility systems design experience a plus.
· Strong technical background, with demonstrated ability to take on challenges
· Project Engineering/Project Management experience
· High level of organization
· Demonstrated project skills, especially in the areas of planning and change control
· Willingness to take on new and different skills, as the project demands
· Familiarity with typical facility infrastructure services, such as HVAC systems, Exhaust systems, Piping systems, and Electrical systems.
· Understanding of standard “Facility” project and design issues.
· Ability to read and interpret facility construction drawings.
· PMP Certification
· LEAN experience
· CAD / BIM skills
· Familiarity with Construction standards and building codes
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
· High degree of flexibility to deal with projects that may not be highly defined in the early stages and tend to change frequently while moving through the innovation process.
· Ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects
· Strong communications skills and ability to communicate with all levels of an organization and across multiple organizations
· Able to interface with outside engineering firms, understand design and construction methods and communicate project requirements to them as necessary
· Strong leadership qualities
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;