Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
• Design and integrate PLC based process and automation controls into robust manufacturing environment.
• Develop capability in manufacturing systems for seamless part tracking and data analysis from PLC to MES & ERP.
• Coordinate with project managers to development and implementation control systems with state-of-the-art manufacturing capacity.
• Dramatically advance productivity gains through control software / hardware design implementations.
• Collect and interpret control project needs from a variety of sources
• Development and deploy process and automation controls on global scale
• Development of custom PLC to instrumentation drivers.
• Expand the Corning Incorporated manufacturing process knowledge base
• Design complete systems to control stability of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, mechanical, motion, chemical, robotics, power, molecular structure, multi-state physics, and electromechanical systems.
• Test validity of solutions that use traditional and advanced control.
• Transfer control engineering design knowledge to operations by providing the tools, training, information, and other essential skills to the plant engineers.
• Prepare, present and publish technical papers in public forums to advance personal technical reputation and Corning Incorporated
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Develop and implement innovative control system design to solve significant processing and material handling opportunities for Corning Incorporated. Focus will be on the design, commissioning and start-up of new equipment into batching, melting, draw, extruding, firing, finishing, and material handling.
Travel Requirements: Must be able / willing to travel up to 25% of the time - international and domestic travel involved
Required Education: BS or MS in Electrical Engineering Computer Science required.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5- 10 Year’s experience in process and automation controls
• PLC and IEC base programming structure including ladder logic, function blocks, structured text, and sequential flowchart.
• Experience with PID and advanced control implementation.
• Experience with distributed control and I/O
• Experience with Microsoft Windows, Virtual Machines, Linux,
• Real-time Analysis – Simulink and MATLAB.
• Communications – Ethernet IP, OPC, XCP, TCP/UDP, XML, custom.
• Problem solving skills.
• Project Engineer leadership.
• Operational skills to execute hands-on control solutions & calibration procedures.
• Organized, rigorous, independent.
• Strong experimental, instrumentation, and programming skills to insure data is valid and traceable.
• Data analysis skills to verify process control stability.
• Databases SQL Server and Oracle
• Experience with Object Oriented Languages C#, .NET, JAVA.
• Model Predictive and Optimization skills to solve complex control problems.
• Functions as a project leader to equipment providers.
• Good teamwork skills including knowledge transfer and communication.
• Proposes ideas, solutions, and projects.
• Demonstrate and publish an original innovative idea or other essential contribution, such as an improved control method, instrument, technique, or process equipment innovation.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.