Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Sr. Measurements Engineer in the Corning Environmental Technologies (CET) Division Engineering Measurements & Controls group. Serve as a measurements resource for division process improvement and capital expansion projects. Division level contact for manufacturing support of installed systems. Project focus will be implementation of vision based automation in Corning's manufacturing plants and processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Assigned to engineering project teams that delivers automation and process machine systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes
• Provide support and implement customer C# programs that interact with motion control systems and robotics.
• Participate in the development of software architectures, software functional specification, and system integration requirements that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements
• Understand and implement hardware and software for the control’s systems
• Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to successfully deliver fully integrated process equipment systems to Corning’s plants on-time, on-budget, and that satisfy performance measures
• Actively participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel and technology transfer
• Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment design standards.
• Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a team based environment.
Projects Involved with: Member of cross-functional project teams responsible for concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and start-up of automation and process machine systems in manufacturing
Travel Requirements: 25% international and/or domestic. Travel to Environmental Technologies remote plant locations, including Blacksburg Virginia, Kaiserslautern Germany ~25% travel requirements
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Normal Business Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM M-F
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Computer and/or Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics +10 years’ experience.
• Master’s in Computer and/or Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics +3-5 years’ experience.
• Must be proficient in C#.
• Experience creating software that efficiently analyzes large data sets.
• Experience using modern software languages and APIs to create complex, robust, database driven web based applications that utilize an SQL backend (MySQL preferred)..
• Knowledge of proper relational database design and requirements gathering
• Knowledge of electrical/controls, instrumentation (e.g. sensors) and vision systems technologies
• Background in computer programs like Halcon, VB.net, and Lab view, WiT, C++ etc.
• Designing, building, debugging and bringing to production controls/vision systems
• Experience with image analysis (vision measurement systems)
• Course work or experience with using tools such as AutoCAD, Matlab, Simulink etc.
• Works well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering)
• Controls/Electrical Experience in Manufacturing
• Basic project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, timelines etc.)
• Some experience in manufacturing environment
• Some exposure to high powered laser systems
• Some knowledge of equipment engineering, process support and debug
• Experience with precision optical systems
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
• Strong organizational skills
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled