Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Thermal Design Engineering is the comprehensive design of thermal equipment for Corning’s specialized processes. Thermal Design g is a core competency for the Thermal and Materials Engineering group within Corning’s Manufacturing Technology and Engineering business.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Conceptual design of process and equipment utilizing the heat transfer principles of conduction, convection, radiation and combustion.
• Design and engineering of structures using thermal insulation and radiant barriers
• Use of physical modeling to design the process and equipment for a defined material phase change
• Design and engineering for the energy, insulation materials, and process services for ovens, kilns, etc.
• Design and engineering for specialized atmospheres within thermal equipment
• Design utilizing appropriate safety guidelines, i.e. NFPA
Travel Requirements: 10-20%, Some International
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Standard, M-F 8-5 with overtime for meetings and travel as required
Required Education: BS in Mechanical or Materials engineering required. MS strongly preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience in thermal engineering (high-temperature processes, equipment, and materials, etc.)
• Ability to effectively work across broad engineering and operational teams
• Personal behaviors that support Corning’s values
• Ability and desire to travel worldwide.
• Strong understanding of heat transfer and structural analysis principles
• Auto CAD & Solid Works experience
• Good interpersonal skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.