Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at:
Purpose of Position:
- Works with other team members to solve difficult technical, tooling related problems.
- Supports or leads continuous improvement activities, new product or process introductions and cost reduction projects. Supports drive to fundamental process understanding and lowest cost producer objectives. Supports the development and execution of plans to evaluate new technology or improvements in existing technology resulting in a superior product in terms of quality and/or cost. Understands Corning's Intellectual property management processes and follows that process in documenting any intellectual property developed as part of a project.
- Help design, and review mold drawings for Axygen/Corning production molds.
- Approve all mold designs from outside designers and mold manufacturers.
- Provides day-to-day problem solving support to production and provides tooling solutions.
- Ensures compliance to plant standards of Safety and Housekeeping.
- Takes overall leadership in tooling life-cycle management, including leadership of tooling rebuild and replacement programs, and maintenance of critical spares and component parts.
- Participates in the design review meetings on all new or modified molds.
- Actively participates with Product Development/Marketing Group for new product launches and projects.
- Actively participates in tooling-related production issues.
- Prepares Appropriation Requisitions (AR’s) with regards to new mold constructions, Capital Expenditure for tooling equipment and manage cost.
- Uses rigorous processes and technical knowledge to build detailed technical understanding for key process steps.
- Functions as a team member or team leader on focused projects.
- Trouble shoots material, process and equipment issues, identifies root cause and implements corrective action as it relates to new molds and products.
- Implements and documents material, process and/or equipment changes.
- Provides technical drawings and specs to Automation vendors and department for designing new automation systems.
- Uses simple statistical tools and Designed Experiments (DOE) in process problem-solving and process improvement; Uses more sophisticated statistical tools and DOE techniques in problem solving and process/product improvement.
- Assures quality and repeatability of processes and products and manage overall technical files and drawings to support Quality Inspection Criteria. Supports quality and ISO systems related to the Tooling and Machine Shop.
- Initiates or suggests opportunities for improvement based on Lean practices or High Performance Work Systems practices.
- Interprets and enforces plant and company policies and procedures on a consistent basis.
- Manages external tooling vendors for mold construction, repairs and information exchange.
- Executes cost reduction and improvement (DMAIC) projects in line with business objectives.
- Develops SME knowledge of material, process and/or equipment in focused areas of Tooling.
- Provides feedback and coaching to direct report/s. Conducts annual performance reviews.
- Maintains and continuously develops employee skills.
- Provides support for new product implementations as required.
- Manages special projects as assigned by the Manufacturing Dept. Head
Key Decision Areas:
- Implements corrective action related to process variations, equipment malfunctions, or operations endangering the safety of employees or facility.
- Evaluates and takes corrective action with regard to employee skill levels.
- Provides support setting daily Tooling priorities.
- Administers disciplinary actions for directly supervised employees.
- Evaluates the team and individual performance and delegates responsibility, authority and accountability accordingly.
- Capability & Capacity (product, process and equipment); Production molds are in production capability at all times.
- Learning Curve Selects, Rates, Equipment Uptime
- Cost Reduction Impact ($’s)
- Project Delivery Metrics (Stated objectives realized, on budget - capital and expense, on time)
- New product introductions
- Intellectual Property management
- Technology roadmap (stay updated on latest technology advances in Tooling)
- Customer Satisfaction (Quality, Delivery, Product Performance)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Ten years minimum experience
- Yellow Belt Training
- Track record of delivering results.
- Demonstrated knowledge in a technical field.
- Project team membership.
- Progressive experience within the field of engineering
- Green Belt Certification
- Project Team Leadership
- Shift supervisory experience
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}