Algenol is seeking to fill a non-temporary Research Scientist position in Systems Ecology located at its Fort Myers, Florida, R&D facility. Algenol is a global, industrial biotechnology company that is commercializing its patented algae technology platform for production of ethanol and green chemicals. Our patented DIRECT TO ETHANOL® technology enables the production of ethanol for less than $1.00 per gallon using sunlight, carbon dioxide and saltwater and targets commercial production of 6,000 gallons of ethanol per acre per year. The low production costs and high yields are achievable because DIRECT TO ETHANOL® does not involve killing or harvesting algae, and relies on our patented photobioreactors and proprietary downstream techniques for the low-cost recovery and purification of ethanol. These novel, low-cost techniques have the added benefits of consuming carbon dioxide from industrial sources, not using farmland or food crops and being able to provide freshwater.
1. Independently conduct priority research studies including: design of experiments, experiment execution, data analysis, and final reporting
2. Help guide a team of Lab Technicians and Research Associates
3. Coordinate experimental design and implementation with multiple departments and personnel
4. Synthesize knowledge from various science and engineering workgroups
5. Assume primary authorship of standard operating procedures and technical reports
6. Present scientific results and lead discussions in company conferences
7. Ensure timely completion of priority Company projects
1. Solid understanding of microbial ecology and interactions between algae, cyanobacteria, bacteria, and aquatic environments
2. Strong background in aquatic microbiology, including the culture of prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic microbes, microbial physiology, and microbial taxonomy
3. Basic understanding of biochemical principles related to microbial physiology and growth under batch and continuous culture
4. Experience in quantification and identification of aquatic microbes, such as microscopy techniques, flow cytometry, PCR/sequencing.
5. Persistent positive, can-do attitude in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
6. Able to work flexible hours including late nights, weekends and holidays, as research demands require
7. Able to work outdoors in a hot and humid climate
8. Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, be fluent in spoken and written English, and be eligible to work in the United States
1. Background in microbial ecology, synthetic ecology, or biological engineering
2. Experience with molecular techniques such as: nucleic acid extraction from environmental samples, PCR, qPCR, DGGE, cloning, and sequencing
3. Knowledge or experience with the analysis of metabolites using chromatography, electrophoresis, spectroscopy or mass spectrometry
4. Statistical experimental design
5. Direct experience working with bioreactors or synthetic microbial systems
The candidate has a Ph.D. in Microbiology, Environmental/Biological Engineering, Biology, Ecology, Marine/Aquatic Sciences, Limnology, or similar discipline. Candidate should have a minimum of 3 years experimental laboratory and/or field experience dealing primarily with microorganisms or microbial systems. Data analysis and scientific report writing, demonstrated by a publication or patent record, is also required. Exceptional candidates with a M.Sc. degree in a relevant discipline and extended professional experience directly related to the job requirements might be considered for this position.
Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States and available to start the position immediately. Screening of applications will commence immediately until position is filled. Algenol Biofuels is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates submit, in electronic form (MS Word, PDF): a cover letter; a complete CV with publication list; names, affiliation, nature of relationship, and email of three (3) professional references. Only complete applications will be reviewed and answered. All submissions should be sent to eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%6a%6f%62%73%40%61%6c%67%65%6e%6f%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%6a%6f%62%73%40%61%6c%67%65%6e%6f%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b')) and reference the career code of RSSE-01 in the subject line.
*Only complete applications will be reviewed and answered.*
Deadline: Contact employer