Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Teaching Resources Coordinator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) will become a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The Teaching Resources Coordinator assists the teaching mission of the OIST Graduate School by performing the following duties, among other appropriate tasks as determined by and in consultation with the Academic Services Section Leader and the Dean of the Graduate School.
Teaching Resources Coordinator,
Academic Services Section
Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan
1. Manage practical teaching equipment and materials purchase and maintenance.
2. Set up teaching laboratory spaces as needed for different courses.
3. Coordinate multiple laboratory use requests and allocation of space and equipment.
4. Manage printed teaching materials and document distribution.
5. Administer lecture and tutorial rooms, including associated AV equipment as needed.
6. Administer room allocations and timetabling (together with Administrative Support Section).
7. Ensure availability of suitable computers, software, and networks, in association with IT dept.
8. Manage video-conferencing facilities for remote teaching as needed.
9. Liaison between teaching faculty and Academic Services about resources for teaching.
10. Maintain and administer an effective asset management system for OIST teaching equipment.
11. Perform other duties related to management of teaching as necessary.
The position reports to the Academic Services Section Leader, OIST Graduate School.
1. Broad knowledge of techniques and materials for experimental neuroscience, cell biology, microscopy, and/or physics (lasers, vacuum, cold, spectroscopy), and/or experimental chemistry (spectroscopy, chemicals, organic solvents management, inventory management).
2. Extensive laboratory experience, with strong awareness of safety principles and procedures.
3. Fluency in scientific English.
4. Sufficient Japanese for discussions with equipment suppliers and OIST staff is desirable.
5. Higher degree in research science with research experience essential.
1. English native speaker.
2. Some university laboratory teaching experience preferred.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years contract initially with 3 month probationary period. This contract may be renewed and has a potential for permanent employment
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation
Annual paid leave, summer holidays, Private School Mutual Aid, commuting allowances and relocation allowances.
1) Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese.
2) Cover letter in both English and Japanese
April 1st 2012
Application Due Date:
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, Human Resources Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
*Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential. Documents will not be returned and prospective candidates may be notified for further information
*Further details about the Institute can be viewed on our website (http://www.oist.jp)
Deadline: Contact employer