Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Senior Software Development Engineer/Scientist with responsibility to architect, develop, lead development teams, and manage software project execution for internal systems development. Would lead and/or participate on project teams leveraging emerging technologies to deploy state of the art software solutions across all Corning businesses. Participate in internal and external working groups to advance the use of emerging software technologies within Corning.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Meet with stakeholders to develop system requirements, establish design constraints, and set priorities.
- Architect software solutions for internal customer projects.
- Lead brainstorming and other ideation activities related to software development.
- Help develop and champion Software and Software Project management best practices (from coding best practices to project management, unit test, archive management, etc…).
- Communicate development, testing results and project progress to team members, stakeholders, and leadership.
- Integrate new systems and technologies into Development and Manufacturing systems.
- Transfer new technologies to equipment and process receivers, provide remote system support, and develop system documentation.
- Capture intellectual property in the form of Invention Disclosures, Research Reports, and Patent Applications.
Travel Requirements: Some domestic and international travel based on project. Typical travel is 10-20%.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours per week and as required by project (e.g. during system installation and production start-up).
Education and Experience:
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Physics
- 5+ years of Software Development experience
- Strong technical expertise in software engineering.
- Strong software project management skills
- Strong technical expertise in Windows and Linux software development environments and tools.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse technical and non-technical audience, including non-native English speakers.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team: be cooperative, flexible, and respectful, communicate constructively, show commitment, and work toward a common goal.
- Hadoop ecosystem development experience.
- Experience with Manufacturing Engineering Excellence, Process Excellence, Reliability testing, and other approaches for framing challenging problems.
- Project management training and expertise.
- Neural Networks - Tools, Design and Development
- Imaging Experience – specifically in the image data management area.
- Computing – Familiarity with high performance computing platforms.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Independence and the ability to apply critical thinking to complete challenging problems.
- Ability to build professional relationships in a cooperative, collegial, and multi-cultural environment.
- Be effective in working across diverse functional groups including research, engineering, operations, and maintenance and in a heavily matrixed environment.
- Customer-focused, forward looking
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}