The Clinical Services Program's (CSP) primary mission is to perform sequential studies of immune function in patients with cancer, AIDS, chronic granulomatous disease or other diseases associated with immunologic dysfunction, as well as to monitor viral load in patients with HIV. The Laboratory of Human Retrovirology (LHR) has discovered Interleukin 27 (IL-27) is a novel anti-HIV cytokine and proposed that IL-27 is a potent therapeutic reagent for HIV infected patients who failed current anti-viral therapy.
The Postdoctoral Fellow would be responsible for the study of molecular mechanism of anti-viral property of IL-27 and related proteins in innate immune responses to HIV and other virus infection. This study is associated with development of salvage therapies for treatment failures in clinical study in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and investigation of the mechanism of host–pathogen interactions. The Candidate would (1) handle infectious HIV viruses, whole blood from HIV infected patients and multiple recombinant proteins and (2) perform tissue culture of primary cells, purification of proteins, ELISA, enzyme assays, real-time RT-PCR, western blot, cloning of genes, reporter assays, immune precipitation and transfection of siRNA or DNA. Handling of infectious materials and working under BL-3 level laboratory is involved.
: BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Doctorate degree from an accredited college/university in a biological science.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. Equivalency.
- No experience required with a Doctoral degree.
- Knowledge of or experience in tissue culture using mammalian cells is required.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Knowledge of or experience in host defense against infection with pathogens.
- Experience in cell culture, molecular biology, and immunological techniques.
Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Deadline: January 01, 2014