Manual Micromanipulator - Maintenance and Lubrication

baumgrenze

Mar 31, 2016

I am new to the forum. I looked for an active forum where this question might make sense to a reader.<!--break-->

I am a retired PhD synthetic organic chemist. I have no training in the use of a classic manual micromanipulator. I have one that I saved from the dumpster many years ago, a Prior 76913. It seems to be a beautifully built device. I believe I now have an application for it. I would like to use it to fine focus a digital usb microscope. It weighs 2 oz (57 g) as is. I need to fashion an attachment device. I see that the micromanipulator has 3 screw holes to which I could attach a plate and a clamp to secure the microscope.<!--break-->

1) Is this a reasonable load for the Prior 76913?<!--break-->

2) The micromanipulator has not been cleaned and/or lubricated for at least 30 years. The grease is undoubltedly hardened. I contacted Prior for lubrication suggestions and they said 'sorry but we no longer offer any support information for something that old.' I find this sad. Starrett still help customers with tools they built 75 years ago. They are proud to still make some of them, more or less unchanged.<!--break-->

If someone would point me to an online document telling me about the care-and-keeping of a manual micromanipulator like the Prior 76913 I would be most grateful.<!--break-->

Thanks in advance,<!--break-->

John

frasermoss

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 16, 2015

Not a prioir manual but the ideas are the same

https://www.wpiinc.com/clientuploads/pdf/ManipulatorCare_IS.pdf