What Big Question Will be Answered in 2008?

1 post / 0 new
Tony Rook
Tony Rook's picture
What Big Question Will be Answered in 2008?

A recent survey was held by Seed publishing group and in the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Seed Magazine they published this answer by Marc Hauser, an Evolutionary Biologist at Harvard University.

"The fundamental question we will answer in 2008 won't concern a fact, or the discovery of a law, but a process. More scientists will realize that we won't understand the mind without a deeper understanding of the brain; we won't understand genomics without understanding what genes build in terms of brains and behavior; and we won't understand human sociology without understanding how it evolved. 2008 will thus hail a celebration of increasing collaboration among the sciences, paving the way to more profound insights"
- Marc Hauser

I am posting this quote, because I felt that it was deeply insightful. I believe that 2008 is going to prove to be the biggest year yet for scientific collaboration. Collaboration that will prove to be quite different than the traditional scientific collaboration of yester-year where scientists meet once a year at the major conferences to discuss there findings.

I think 2008 will be the year that scientist realize the full potential of the internet as a tool for scientific social collaboration.

What do you think? Do you agree with Marc Hauser? If not, what do you think will be the Big Question Answered in 2008?