Bioinformatics Research Group Leader
Posted by: Armada Human Capital
Posted date: Sep-24-2012
Our client works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. The client is one of 15 centers supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
The client has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, and Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam) and East Asia (China).
- Our client seeks to recruit a senior computational biologist, to lead the bioinformatics team. The position holder requires an outstanding record of internationally competitive research accomplishments in bioinformatics.
- The role will require management of a group of bioinformaticians and systems specialists, liaison with a broader group of scientists and management of collaborations with multi-disciplinary groups on challenges relating to capturing, managing, analyzing and interpreting large sets of biological data.
- The job scope covers research in many different aspects of crop and livestock biology.
- Current topics include next generation sequence analysis, genotyping, comparative and functional genomics, RNA sequence analysis and met genomics in a range of livestock, crop, vector and pathogen species.
- Liaise with senior project and programme managers to coordinate and manage bioinformatics requirements and opportunities.
- Contribute to existing research projects and build independent research activities in bioinformatics related to agricultural research.
- Be responsible for ensuring that ILRI’s human and hardware capability to perform cutting-edge bioinformatics is maintained.
- Be an inspiring and effective leader of a diverse and enthusiastic group
- Develop and implement a vision of bioinformatics research and support at ILRI;
- Ensure integration of bioinformatics into the research and research planning process at ILRI;
- Proactively establish and build strong relations with a range of local, regional and international partner institutes based on mutual trust and support.
- Be responsible for the quality of scientific research and project management within the bioinformatics team.
- At least 5 years post PhD experience
SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION:
- PhD in Bioinformatics or in Biological Sciences research driven by computational analyses.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics, particularly the use and analysis of high throughput sequencing data generated by a range of platforms;
- Experience in a supervisory role;
- Familiarity with Linux & Unix platforms and computational pipelines;
- Experience with high performance clusters;
- Experience in scripting and programming;
- Experience in managing and using relational databases;
- Excellent track record in scientific publications and fund raising;
- Demonstrated excellence as a manager of a team of professionals in a research organization;
- Proven success in initiating and managing multi stakeholder and international research projects;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Experience of management of capacity building activities.