The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at Baylor College of Medicine seeks enthusiastic individuals to manage Next-Gen data flow for publication including submission to national archives, as well as supporting automated workflows and new software tools in a rapidly evolving research environment.
This entry-level position in the Submissions Team seeks to prepare its members for future positions in bioinformatics. Therefore, an emphasis is placed on providing constructive feedback and opportunities to learn.
Our team does not analyze sequence or assembly Next-Gen Sequencing data for its scientific content; we use automation to validate, format, and submit that data and its associated metadata to various external destinations such as the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI).
- Uses semi-automated workflows to validate, format, and submit Next-Gen sequence and assembly data along with its associated metadata.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and maintains programs for processing metadata relating to genome sequences.
- Designs, maintains, and develops a system for tracking genomic data and related metadata for submission to national archives.
- Researches, assesses, imports, configures, and customizes third-party software in order to achieve team goals.
Employees working on the Submissions Team acquire the following skills and knowledge:
- next generation sequence data formats
- next generation sequencing process
- software engineering practices
- Python, BioPython, and related libraries
- database design
- database programming
- public data resources like NCBI
- experience with high-performance computing clusters
- experience with heterogeneous computing environments
- project management
As one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, HGSC provides a family-friendly work environment where people can contribute to the future of health outcomes.
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.medschooljobs.org, position 226824JC
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Deadline: December 31, 2012