Sr. Scientist I - Systems Biology
Area of Interest:
Research & Development
Dendreon, a leader in active cellular immunotherapy of cancer, seeks a Senior Scientist with a strong background in bioinformatics or systems biology as applied to immunology. The successful candidate will lead in the use of array and other data-intensive platforms for the identification of novel immunotherapy targets and markers of therapeutic effect and mechanism. Working closely with research, clinical, and development groups this individual is expected to:
• Provide scientific and technical leadership and mentorship in the conception, execution, and interpretation of high-content experimental approaches;
• Serve as department expert in design and interpretation of array-based experiments;
• Coordinate, facilitate and track all high-content experiments to assure proper data management and access;
• Serve as a primary departmental liaison with IT and biometrics to assure that platforms and processes are in place for appropriate data management;
• Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of biomarker discovery and development technologies and a solid record of publications;
• Assist in building a powerful research team through hiring and development of junior staff.
• PhD in relevant scientific discipline (Biology, Molecular Biology, or Immunology) with at least 5 years post-doctoral experience.
• While no one candidate may possess all of the requisite skills, expertise in the application of various technologies and platforms, e.g., gene and protein microarray, quantitative RT-PCR, proteomics, flow cytometry, multi-analyte ELISA, and the discovery of biomarkers and/or development of translatable biomarker assays in different biological matrices is highly prized.
• Familiarity with bioinformatics and data mining tools is essential.
• A proven record in building and implementing informatics tools, as evidenced by successful delivery of candidate biomarkers for targets in development, authorship of peer reviewed publications, and increasing level of responsibilities.
• Previous experience working on immune diseases, targets and compounds is desirable, and previous experience in an industrial setting will be advantageous.
• Demonstrated ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands is a must. An ability to communicate and collaborate with a diverse group of scientists will be an important selection criterion.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
• This job will require work in the laboratory with products of human and animal origin.
• May require work with hazardous materials.
• Requires occasional evening and weekend work.
The preceding job description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required for company business needs from time to time.