Microbiologist Postdoctoral position
Employer: Iowa State University
Location: Ames, IA, United States
Under limited supervision from a faculty member, this position will include the performance of specialized laboratory microbiological procedures (bacteriology, virology, molecular diagnostics).
- performing molecular assays including:qPCR, sequencing, cell culture of animal viruses
-writing grants and manuscripts for publication
-communicating and effectively interacting with other personnel in the laboratory
- assisting project leader in coordination flow of information within the project
-maintaining clear and detailed records of research activity
-providing timely and accurate information for project reports
-reviewing and evaluating pertinent scientific literature
-PhD in microbiology or virology with relevant laboratory experience in molecular or classical virology or microbiology
- Experience in PCR, sequencing, virus isolation, virus characterization, cell culture
- Experience with animal models of disease research; experience with swine is preferable
- Creativity, independence and high self-motivation
- Good communication (oral and written) skills
- Strong work habits and the ability to work independently as well as with a research group
- Evidence of prior publications based on individual research
- Experience with RefMan or similiar reference manager
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis and study design
- Experience and expertise in advanced virology and microbiological research techniques
- Experience in development of molecular assays
Please send your resume, CV, three references, and a letter outlining your career goals to Courtney Witte, 2630 Vet Med Building, Ames, IA 50011 or by e-mail to eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%63%77%69%74%74%65%40%69%61%73%74%61%74%65%2e%65%64%75%22%3e%63%77%69%74%74%65%40%69%61%73%74%61%74%65%2e%65%64%75%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b')).
Employer: Iowa State University is one of the nation's leading educational, research and outreach universities. Its research responds to the needs of the citizens of Iowa and impacts not only our state, but the nation and the world as well. The variety of positions at the university offers almost something for everyone. ISU employees enjoy a competitive benefit package that includes leave time, medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement and reimbursement for education. The workplace is a park-like campus ranked as one of 25 most beautiful campuses in the country.
ISU is ranked as one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report magazine. It is recognized for having one of the nation's best out-of-classroom environments for students. It is one of only three U.S. college campuses to receive the coveted Medallion Award from the American Association of Landscape Architects. Its faculty members win international awards for research and service and Pulitzer Prizes, and they have gone on to win Nobel prizes. Its staff receives national awards for innovative solutions that make the academic experience for Iowa State students one of the best in the nation. And, its facilities and planning management division has received numerous customer service awards in state and national competitions.
Employees: Approximately 6,500 employees
Location: Ames, with offices in all 99 counties and research facilities across the state
Job Type: Postdoctoral researcher
Salary: 34,500 minimum. Commensurate with experience.
Hours: Full time