Infections and Brain Dysfunctions: sleep, epilepsy and behaviour.
University of Yaoundé I, Yaoundé, Cameroon, Date: August 25-30, 2009
The School will focus on the interaction between the nervous system and infectious agents, and how this interaction can result in brain dysfunctions, which may be manifested as sleep disturbances, epilepsy or behavioural changes.
The study programme for the school will comprise lectures and laboratory demonstrations. The course will also include group discussions and training in complementary skills. The lectures will be divided into four blocks:
- Fundamental knowledge on the mechanisms underlying pathogen-nervous tissue interactions, and the resulting immune responses.
- Sleep and sleep disturbances during infections including HIV and sleeping sickness (African trypanosomiasis) as well as sickness behaviour;
- Epilepsy and infections, including neurocysticercosis and febrile seizures;
- Behaviour disturbances and infections including HIV, post cerebral malaria, toxoplasmosis, rabies, measles and post-streptococci infections
Who should apply:
- Research-oriented medical practioners, PhD students specialising in neuroscience-related fields, graduate students in the medical faculty
- Only the applicants from Africa can apply; preference will be given to students from West and Central Africa.
- Age limit is 35 years.
Alfred Njamnshi, University of Yaoundé I, Yaoundé, Cameroon
Krister Kristensson, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Alfred K Njamnshi, Krister Kristensson, Martin Rottenberg, Charles Newton, Marina Bentivoglio, Philippe Buscher, Daniel Amin, Monique Lafon, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, Gallo Diop. Two more teachers to be announced
IBRO, NEUROTRYP (EU FP-6 INCO), FIND
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
How to apply
Applications are only available on-line. There are no hard copies of application forms.
On-line applications (opening on May 3, 2009):
Note that applicants must log into the above site to fill out the application.
If you do not have or do not remember your password, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not have an account, please check the requirements here and send an e-mail request to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: June 4, 2009